Monday, November 23, 2009

Brainstorming a Title


Current Project: Spirit of the Mountain/ Cowboy Story
Status: reading pregalley/working on revisions

I missed the meeting last week and I am in need of some brainstorming for a title for my contemporary western about a bareback bronc rider and an ER nurse. My editor said it needs more emotion because it is an emotion driven book two thirds of the way until there is some suspense toward the end. And she wants me to come up with a new title.

This is my little spiel: A celibate ER nurse with plans to build a camp for sexually abused children finds herself drawn to a rodeo cowboy and his art. Their passions bring them together, their pasts wedge them apart.

The heroine was a victim of incest as a child, she overcame a promiscuous teen age years to vow to be celibate and help abused children through her love of music. The hero is a bareback bronc rider whose younger sister was a victim of abuse by his stepfather. But he didn't realize it until after his sister committed suicide. He feels he let her down.

The hero is intrigued by her walls and her beautiful music. She is intrigued by his art and his tenaciousness to befriend her. It is a slow building of trust. Then as she is admitting her feelings for him, a crazy fan causes trouble.

A friend said I need to have words like: Trust, Hope, in the title. I'm open to any thoughts to help me figure this out.

12 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- I absolutely suck at coming up with titles. I'm responding only in the guise of a fellow sufferer, although you've been clever with your other titles so I *trust* you will also find one this time. If you have any beginning ideas, maybe it would help if you wrote those down. Knowing the direction and gist of your story helps, but you know the sparks and the take away and we don't.

Sorry to be a wash-out.

Paty Jager said...

I had "Cowboy Up" because I refer to the phrase, which means toughen up, in the book. But the editor said it needs to more reflect the emotion of the book. Before that one I had "Last Ride".

Pictures of the Past
8 Seconds to Love

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Paty!

I usually struggle with titles also, but this popped into my head as I read your description that this is a "slow building of trust." Use Slow Dance in your title, either by itself or something like "Slow Dance With a Cowboy."

Anyway, this may give you another idea to brainstorm on. Good luck!

Paty Jager said...

Genene, I like the Slow Dance idea.

Anonymous said...

Paty, the first thing that popped into my mind was...

8 Seconds To Love

Then I clicked to comment and see you've already thought of it. Great minds! LOL

chanceofbooks said...

8 seconds sounds too fast for what you have going on, but I like that title.

I actually REALLY like Cowboy Up. I think it expresses the emotions rather well.

The Nurse's Lonely Cowboy
Rodeo of the Heart
Unbroken
Cowgirls Don't Cry
Ride, Baby, Ride
Secrets of the Rodeo Rider
The Cowgirl's New Hope

Does her program have a name? Sometimes that works as a book title.

Paty Jager said...

LOL- Becky.

Wavy, I like the "Cowgirls Don't Cry". Only she's a city slicker.

They give the program his sister's name.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, I suck at titles too, but Bethany is a WHIZ!

I love Unbroken & Ride, Baby, Ride. Tho if you don't use Unbroken, let me know, because I might. :)

Paty Jager said...

Eli, you can have Unbroken.

Here's a list my daughter and I came up with today.

The Art of Trusting
A Ride to Love
Unbridled Hearts
A Cowboy to Love
Spurred to Love
Broken Hearts Mended

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks, Paty!

I really like Unbridled Hearts, too.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- I like Unbridled Hearts.

Katie said...

Bare Heart
Bare Love
Maybe something to reflect her nursing position? Stitched Hearts/Hope/Love. I'm rubbish with names.