
Current Project: The Baby's Bodyguard
Status: page 246
I have officially entered the phase called "Egad! There's not enough pages left to finish the book!" This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. You'd think I'd be prepared but you would be wrong. My plan is to stop worrying about it and just finish the book and find the extra pages I need somewhere in the middle where they can be cut without harming the story. Two weeks left...
I know a few of you are going to do the November NANO. I'm not going to join in because getting a volume of words down right now is not the issue. I've kind of usurped the Saturday blog, but I would be happy to hand it over to someone doing NANO if there is one of you who would like to do it. Might be more fun. Anyone?
So, on the unofficial NANO list we have Lisa, Bethany and Debbie. Did I miss someone?
Good luck, ladies!
11 comments:
Way to go, Alice! That's great news--the finish line is in sight now!
I am proud of my progress this week. I entered the golden heart--I'm so hoping that 3 times is the charm for this particular manuscript. I got some awesome feedback from the Golden Rose, so I have been making those changes as well. After getting feedback from 4 contests with 3 still outstanding, the manuscript is in the best shape yet. I began this contest kick with last year's golden heart, so it's kind of nice to come feel circle. I'm hoping to move from contests to a new round of queries in the winter.
For the new WIP, I did more character and plot stuff. Thanks to Paty's post this week, I have a playlist :) And thanks to Debbie's post, I revisted several books on my shelf to remind myself of what I want to do pacing wise.
I lined up a middle-school aged mother's helper who will come afterschool on Thursday and Fridays. I am going to use this time ONLY for NaNo and my plan is do a bunch of plot stuff early in the day as I'm playing with Tavy so that my brain is ready to use the time productively. I will consider NaNo a success if I make forward momentum each week and continue that momentum even as we move into the end of November otherwise known as grading HELL for me. 50,000 words is of course the magic number, but my personal GO! GO! GO! number is going to be 25,000. If I average 850 words, I can do it, and I think that's probably the most realistic for me. It's going to require a fair amount of dedication and juggling to get that. I want to feel elation not deflation at the end of the month. Then I'm going to do another NaNo in December for another 25K, giving myself till January 1 to get my 50K gold medal.
But, weekly goals has been working the best for me, so my goal for next week is:
1) mail GH--EARLY for once. No extra postage costs!
2)get 5,000 words.
Congrats on the end in sight,Alice! BTW Read Agent Daddy on my flight to San Jose and it is another winner!
I signed 28 books for people at the Borders signing and they had me sign 8 copies each of the remaining titles so it was a success! And I met some more authors as they had 8 there signing.
Word count this week wasn't good as I was getting ready to leave and didn't take my computer with me. But I am back in the story and know where I'm heading.
I'm back and forth with the Nano thing. I'm driven enough I don't think I need to do it, but at the same time it would be fun to push myself. So I'm still on the fence.
Wavy -- you have a lot to be proud of. I think your goals sound reasonable and I really applaud your wisdom in choosing them for success rather than failure. Hooza! Good luck!!!
Paty, thanks for the nice words about the book, I appreciate them very much.
Wow! That is a great turn out for the book signing. How exciting! Congratulations.
Let us know what you decide to do about Nano.
Alice, congratulations on nearing The End!
Bethany, you are so good at goal setting. I'm picking up lots of pointers from you in that area--now I need to put them into practice!
Paty, great news on the booksigning and contacts, as well as jumping right back into the story!
I was away from my computer a lot this past week, so I knew I wouldn't make as much progress on writing my series as I want to. Lots of other good stuff, though. :)
I'm still in the wonderful stage of this series where a big event in one story spins off a beginning of another one or a motivation for another main character. I'm not moving as fast on completing detailed scene sheets as I had originally planned. However, I'm still carving out good chunks of time to work on the stories and as long as the creativity continues, I figure I can catch up with those sheets later.
Hope you all have a productive week coming up!
Hey NaNo girls--My user id there is also wavybrains. Feel free to make me your writing buddy :)
Yep, I'm doing NaNo this year. I don't know what it is--the concrete goal, maybe?--but I'm raring to go. I actually woke up at 6:15am this morning, ready to write! If you knew me well, you'd know just what a...miracle...that is (I'm definitely not a morning person). LOL
My nano id is "dbw".
Genene -- you're right, you are in an exciting stage of writing as ideas play leap frog. Have fun!
Good idea about announcing Nano ID so you can get feedback. Good luck!
Debbie, this is so exciting that you are so excited! I know you can meet your goals and will look forward to hearing how all you are all doing.
You all rock!!
I'm not officially doing Nano. But I have to write about 25K words, edit polish and get this book off to my editor by the beginning of Dec...so it's my own personal Nano version. ;)
Alice, I'm nearing that "There's not enough pages left to finish this book" phase as well.
Eli -- it does appear you have your own personal version of hell, er, I mean Nano, to contend with.
Hey, that's only 833 words a day, every day, for thirty days, right? That's not so bad! You can do it!!!
Here's to November being a super productive month for everyone!
Post a Comment