Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Desperately In Search Of Inspiration

Deborah Wright's ProfileCurrent Project: The Space Between
Status: S-l-o-w Progress!

I'll admit it -- I struggled to come up with an idea for a post today. In desperation, I finally turned to a resource that's never let me down before: my reference books (the acquiring of which, I'll confess to a, er, slight addiction). I still couldn't figure out a single topic from within one of those books, so I thought I'd talk about my top 10 favorite reference/research books. These aren't "how to write" books (though heaven knows I have plenty of those, too). These are books I turn to frequently, no matter what genre I'm writing, for information, for ideas, and for plain old inspiration when I'm blocked.

Without further ado, I present my Top 10 Reference and Research Books. The top three were chosen because I've used them so often that I've got those post-it tabs stuck to various pages. The rest are in no particular order.

1. New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology
I have the 1978 edition, purchased sometime around 1980. What have I marked that was so interesting? Let's see, mostly marked are pages for Egyptian and Greek mythology -- Osiris, Wepwawet, Judging the Dead, Bast, Athena, Apollo, and the Cult of the Heroes. (Eli -- I really can't wait to read Marked!)

2. Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
And now we jump from the ancient to the age of science! The subtitle of this book is: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension. I free admit that most of this book is over my head, but I've tried to understand some basic concepts. I love the idea that there are some incredible thinkers out there who are seriously researching this stuff. What passages have I tagged in this book? Only three: a section on the Einstein-Rosen Bridge in the chapter on Black Holes and Parallel Universes, Chapter 11 To Build a Time Machine, and Chapter 12 Colliding Universes. Fascinating stuff!

3. About Time by Paul Davies
The book I consider a companion to Hyperspace. My favorite passages in this book are: Chapter 7 Quantum Time, a particular section of Chapter 7 about an actual experiment done at UC Berkeley that relates (loosely) to erasing the past, and a section in Chapter 10 Backwards in Time regarding the theoretical existence of an infinite number of parallel universes.

4. The Timetables of History by Bernard Grun
A fascinating tabular look at what was happening at the same time in history all over the world. The book I have goes from 4500 B.C. to the 1990s. Each table lists information in the following categories: History/Politics, Literature/Theater, Religion/Philosophy/Learning, Visual Arts, Music, Science/Technology/Growth, and Daily Life.

5. The Silk Road by Frances Wood
I originally bought this book because I planned to write a fantasy set in an alternate world. The plot would take place along a trade route similar in many ways to the Silk Road. I've never started writing that story (still on my list of future ideas), but this book is so fascinating I'll thumb through it at times just to kick start my imagination.

6. Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
You wouldn't think a book in dictionary format could be fascinating, but I've found myself unexpectedly lost in its pages more times than I care to admit.

7. More Latin for the Illiterati by Jon R. Stone
Sometimes you just need that snippet of Latin, you know?

8. Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman, M.D.
I think almost every suspense/thriller writer could benefit from having a copy of this book. I've only been able to take reading it in small doses, but everything I've read has made an impact on me.

9. Mean Genes by Terry Burnham and Jay Phelan
Another fascinating book that I bought for a specific purpose and keep around for general ideas.

10. A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits by Carol Mack and Dinah Mack
A light hearted look at demons and spirits from cultures world-wide and how to capture or banish them.

Whew! Well, there you have it -- my favorite reference books. It's funny how reading something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm writing can sometimes jar loose an idea for moving forward with my current story.

How about you? Do you have a favorite reference work (or two or three or...)? Please share! I'm always on the lookout for good books to add to my collection!

10 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Oh Michio, I love you so. I love his youtube clips where he makes string theory seem so simple. I heart physics. :) I admit that when it comes to reference material, I am way more internet oriented than book oriented b/c I want instant gratification.

Books I love:
Diana Hacker is my grammar goddess, and I own several of her reference books.
Eats, Shoots, and Leaves is another of my favorite grammar books.
The Baby Name Bible--indispensable for character naming, and the insightful commentary sets it apart from all others.
The Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maas. I have yet to work through the whole thing, but I love it.
The dreaded synopsis--a must for synopsis haters.
Give 'Em What They Want--a must for querying
Building Believable Characters--
Black's Law Dictionary (not in use on any current wip, but pretty darn awesome)
New York Public Library Desk Reference--this mainly just sits and looks impressive on my desk, but it's packed with awesome information.

Thanks for reminding me to look at my stack of reference books. I'm going to put some of them to work.

chanceofbooks said...

Oh and if anyone has good pop culture, and geek/science reference materials, PLEASE share!

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie -- I love your list. I can't add to it, but I can take from it so I am printing it out and it is going to come visit the library with me so thanks.

I got the sun signs book after hearing Cherry Adair wax poetically about using it to help with characters and I bought the book on archetypes Lisa mentioned and I also have Vogler's Writer's Journey and Swain's Techniques but they are not terribly inspirational. For inspiration, I look at the front page of the newspaper and that's depressing.

I loved your blog.

Paty Jager said...

Debbie a great list. I have several writing books (Swain, Mass, Dixon) but the resource books I use and they probably wouldn't be of much use to the rest of you are:
Sears and Roebuck 1897
Cowboy Lingo- Ramon F. Adams
The History of Underclothes -C. Willet and Phillis Cunnington
The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800's - Marc McCutcheon
Age of the Gunfighter- Joseph G. Rosa

Deborah Wright said...

Wavy, I didn't know that there were youtube clips of Michio! I'm going to have to search them out -- thanks!

I love the title of Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I've almost picked it up several times, but haven't since I already have The Deluxe Transitive Vampire by Karen Gordon. I'll still eventually buy it, though, I'm sure.

Deborah Wright said...

Alice, I've had a copy of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs for years (since it was first published in paperback, I think). It's (hopefully) in one of the boxes of paperbacks that are still down in the garage. I used to have her two volume Love Signs in hardback, but they were mistakenly given away with some other books when we were shedding possessions before we moved. :(

Deborah Wright said...

Paty, you never know what book is going to be useful! I think The History of Underclothes would be fascinating -- same for Age of the Gunfighter. And just because a book doesn't directly apply to a current story, doesn't mean something can't be gleaned that's useful. :-)

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie -- I bought the Love Signs book (paperback edition) a couple of years ago and was planning to give it away. Would you like my copy? It has nothing to do with the value of the book, but perhaps it's time for me to face the fact that I don't tend to use reference books much. Borrowing them from the library is the way I tend to do it.

Anyway, I'd be happy to pass it along.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Oh, oh, oh, Debbie!

I'm listening to a video with Michio Kaku, and it's totally fascinating! I have to dash off again, but you have inspired me to find out more!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Fun list, Debbie!!

On my shelf are:

Forensics for Dummies;
Book of Poisons
and its companion, Deadly Doses: A Writers Guide to Poisons;
The Treasures of Ancient Egypt;
Fast Action Control Techniques for Law Enforcement
(this is a video - way cool);
Mythology - Greek Gods, Hereos and Monsters;
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology;

and one more great big thick book titled simply, Mythology.

Isn't it interesting to look at the bulk of each writers research books to find out what they write???

1,4,6,7 & 9 on your list sound fascinating, Debbie!