Has everyone seen the movie MISERY by Stephen King?I shied away from it for years but a couple of weeks ago, I checked it out of the library and watched it.
This is a summation of the plot: SPOILER ALERT: A writer is holed up in the snow, finishing a manuscript. Through a phone conversation with his agent, we learn he's been writing about a character named MISERY for many years. The public so loves this character that's she's all he writes about now and he's sick of her. In this book, he claims independence by killing her off.
He starts home in the snow and ends up in an awful accident. He's rescued from sure death by a woman who's a nurse and for awhile, it seems, he's one lucky guy even if he can't walk because his legs are broken. The rescuer recognizes him from the picture on his book covers (she's read them all over and over again) and claims she is his "number one fan. " As she managed to rescue his latest manuscript as well, she asks if she can read it. He says yes.
Bad mistake. This woman is nuts and when she reads that he kills off MISERY, she goes ballistic. In the scene that prompted this blog, she brings a small BBQ into his sickroom, a can of lighter fluid and a match. She opens the lid of the BBQ and there is his book. She tells him he can't do this to MISERY and demands he burn this terrible manuscript. As the demand is made by a crazy woman, he is forced to comply and destroys the book he has just written.
What a scene this is. Her offering his latest work, the culmination of a series of books and months of agony, like a sacrificial lamb because it doesn't fit her idea of his character's destiny.
She then claims God came to her and explained His purpose in having the writer under her roof. The writer must write a new book for the Misery character and this time, make it happy. The crazy woman eagerly reads the pages as the writer feverishly creates the new book. During this time, he is also escaping his room when she leaves the house, and now knows what a homicidal maniac she really is. He has to get out there.
Eventually, he's got the new book all the way to the last chapter where MISERY is going to make the choice of which man she will marry. The maniac is agog with lust to find out the answer as this character is more real to her than the man she has tortured and confined. In a brilliant turn around, he presents her with the last chapter only to destroy it before she can read it. She comes unglued, they battle, THE END.
As a writer the two most poignant scenes for me was him being forced to destroy his manuscript on the eve of delivering it to his agent, and him taking back the power by thwarting his "public" and denying them the happy ever after he'd been forced to create. (This would seem to be more a problem for the Stephen Kings of the world than the Alice Sharpes, but there you go.)
Have you seen this movie? I talked to my family about it the next day. I mentioned the two scenes I just described and the unexpected murder of a third character that broke my heart and everyone else looked at me like I was nuts. They talked about the scene where the maniac rebroke the writer's ankles to keep him chained to his bed (and his typewriter.) That was the worst scene for them and I suddenly realized that the endless parodies of that scene had been what kept me from watching this movie for so long. Yet in the end, it barely registered while the vision of that BBQ with a perfect lily white manuscript set squarely in the middle and the author's hand poised to send it up in smoke still lingers in my mind.
My point: writers are crazy, reader's are crazier.
We make stories, but once they hit the world, they belong to whomever reads them to take them into their heart and mind or trash them at will, to remember them forever and yearn for more, for it never to end, or to disown the writer because the writer has disappointed them, has spoiled things for them.
I am a reader every bit as much as I am a writer and I have felt this way. There are books in my life that are part of me, that belong to me, that speak to me, that I read and reread. Books that I seldom, if ever, think about the author or the process because it's the story that matters, the people they created are a million times more real than they are--afterall, they are just a name on the front cover or a picture on the back. The writer, in my reader's mind, is little more than the vessel through which MY story comes to me.
Annie Wilkes, move over.
What do you think?
13 comments:
Yay, Alice! The Misery post. I was hoping you were still going to use it. That movie was on Dish network lately and I rewatched it too. Annie is one scary character in that movie, isn't she?
And you're right, those are the best books -- the stories that make us forget about the author. The ones -- as Lucille Diver explains in this month's RWA mag, market update section -- in which the words fall away and the book becomes a movie in the reader's mind.
The kind of books I strive to someday write...
Great post, Alice. ;)
I watched this movie years ago when it was first released - when I was a nonwriter - and the scene that stood out to me was the knee-breaking one. But when I watched it again, years later - after I knew what it was like to write a book - the scenes that stayed with me were the ones you mentioned - being forced to destroy something you slaved over and believed in, and then doing it by choice. I'm sure this isn't where you wanted this post to go, but I recently thought my computer had crashed and I'd consequently lost all my work - which I hadn't bothered to back up in quite a while. I was beside myself. Luckily, it all worked out and said work was saved, but it truly kills me to think of losing something that I worked so dang hard on.
As for your question, yes I think writers are crazy. ;) And like you, the books I love are the ones where you don't think about the words or the writer or even the plot, but you feel the characters so much they become a part of you. I think we all strive to write that way.
Alice Sharpe says...
(I'm signing in as anonymous because this blanketdy blank blog all of a sudden doesn't like my password.)
Eli--Crashing computers are the stuff of nightmares and are actually a sub plot of this blog.
I went with the fictional take of MISERY but are you telling me this guy didn't back up his book with a carbon copy? Huh? That wasn't the point of the movie, though.
I've lost major chunks of a book a few times now and when I do, after I throw seventeen different fits, I rewrite what I have lost. I've never lost the whole book or thought I lost every book I've written like your fear was, but parts, fifty pages one time. I later found a copy of the fifty pages I'd rewritten and realized that what I had come up with the second time around was preferable.
Still, I send myself emails all the time. How does everyone else back up?
Alice
who is going to eamil herself her current WIP while she's thinking about it...
Danita--I was glad to have the MISERY blog written and ready.
I like what Lucille Diver said and the way in which she said it.
I know we all strive to write like that someday...
Alice
Misery is one of my favorite Stephen King movies. I never read the book but I think that version has her cutting off Paul Sheldon's feet with an axe, not just breaking his ankles. So the movie version of his "hobbling" is much milder.
This is one of the few movies my husband actually enjoys. Hmm. I wonder what that says about him. Anyway, we own it on VHS, but we watched the televised version the other night on cable and it captivated us as usual. The first manuscript he's forced to set on fire is his "breakout" novel, the literary one that he's been wanting to write all his life. Annie hates it because of all the bad language and forces him to burn it. The book with Misery's death is already published and she stays up late one night to finish reading it and, well, like you said, Alice, she goes ballistic. That's when she forces Paul to write a new Misery book and bring her favorite character back to life.
I used to be a rabid reader and really got into the characters and the stories I read. Not so much any more. I really miss that.
King did such an excellent job of exaggerating the faniballistic (hey, Danita, there's a new word for you! Fan, cannibal, ballistic, get it? -snort-) nature of hardcore readers. Do you think he ever gets preyed upon by fanibals? What do you think might have inspired this horrific tale? Hmmm...
Karen
Karen--Did we watch the same movie? LOL did I get some major points wrong, but no wonder setting fire to that book hurt so much. How did I miss this? Really, I amaze myself and not in a good way.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's much better your way! I mean, Stephen King's way!
Alice
Yuck, never saw this movie, never will. I don't do scary, or miserable. Only HEA's for me. :) Yep, I'm a wimp.
As far as losing work... My dh has a major back-up system for all our computers, even though they're Mac's and they never crash or blow up or any of those other awful things that Windblows machines do. LOL
Oh, and we are now a totally PC free household! The Windblows machine we had for the kids blew up one too many times, so we trashed it. Yippy!
Like Alice and Eli said, writers are a strange breed and I think they tend to be on the stubborn side too. Well, at least most of the ones I know and love; so, if someone tried to make me do something with my story, by force, or tried to make me do something I didn't really want to, period, I'd probably end up with more than broken ankles, knees, or whatever. I've always been the idiot who'd rather die than give in. Lame. Drives the dh insane.
And you're also right, Alice, about readers being crazier than writers. Especially ones like me. I won't give that Gabaldon woman another chance after she tortured her hero so completely in her Outlander book. LOL
This was a fun post Alice, because now I know for sure I'll never have to watch this movie. Your summary was perfect, then add Karen's and everyone else's comments and I'm done. ;)
--Eli, you and Lisa and Jen are killing me with all the talk of those vampire books. You should let me borrow yours. ;)Well, unless they're scary and miserable and don't end good. LOL
And another thing...
I HATE THAT PICTURE YOU POSTED ALICE!
It's creepin me out dude!
I did not post the picture. Blame your friend, Eli....
Alice
I back up my work two ways -- Burn it to CD from my laptop and then transfer it to my desktop, so I have it on both computers and on a disc.
When I'm writing short stuff, like newspaper articles, I email it to myself.
Speaking of which, I haven't backed up for awhile either. I'm off to do that now...
Great blog, Alice.
Earlier this morning I couldn't even get to the comments page. Boy was that annoying.
Danita, I feel your pain. I wonder if I can get on today.
I havne't burned a CD for backup. Maybe I should try that, I guess I figure if I email it to the laptop, that's good enough. What do you think?
Alice
I'm with Piper - I don't do scare! I think I've mentioned before the snowman on Rudolph scares me!
But you all set the scene well for me and I can feel the character's pain!
My back up system is a the little gizmo you plug into your computer and it stores stuff like a hard drive and I print out my work. I don't keep any of my books on my computer drive they are on the little gizmo.
I'm back from Alaska- a bit foggy with a head cold, but here. And glad to be back to the land of sunshine!!!!
Good blog- Alice!
Thanks Paty, and it's good to have you home...
Alice
Post a Comment