Have you noticed when you are around a very small child and you are both drawing, that the child doesn't care that you can draw a superior cat? A more life-like horse? A person with a single nose and two hands with fingers? Your average three year old just keeps drawing their own stick figure or colors over yours with a purple crayon.And have you noticed that when a child is playing (loudly) a tune on the piano, say, he or she doesn't care that you can actually make a recognizable tune, a tune that doesn't make people gnash their teeth? They wait impatiently for you to stop, and then go right on with a minor chord extravaganza that will cause most adults to knock back a slug of something high octane.
Two examples that I thought about this weekend while I was with four year old Carmen. And because I've been thinking lately about fear, it all kind of coalesced in my brain.
Why is it that creation--for most adults--is so fraught with fear?
Pretend you are drawing and a better artist sits down with you. They pick up a pen and while you draw a flower, they draw a flower and theirs is good enough to frame and not just because you love them and want to encourage them. I mean frame and hang on a wall, not on the refrigerator door.
Do you ignore their efforts and keep on drawing your own little spindly flower-thing? Do you take a purple crayon and scribble over theirs? Or do you self consciously stop drawing and murmur words of praise and feeling inferior, put your hand casually over your flower to hide it?
Pretend you are playing chop-sticks on the piano and someone comes in, waits until you are finished, sits down beside you and plays flawless Beethoven. Do you nudge them out of the way? Do you play chop-sticks way up on the treble section and bang louder to drown them out? Or do you sit with your hands in your lap?
When do we begin to bow to superior creative ability? When is the joy of creating surpassed by the feeling we don't measure up?
I think fear plays a bigger part in writing than most of us think it does. And I think there are two major kinds of fear that come into play:
Fear of Failing
Fear of Succeeding
I don't think children, young children, worry about failing. They haven't yet learned the definition. Creating is individual and has merit of its own. And why would their creation have to compete with some else's? Who would think of such a thing?
I also don't think young children worry about getting things right. If they do, and someone says, "Wow," they smile. They don't immediately project future expectations they can't meet and ultimate failure upon themselves.
I told Carmen a story I made up awhile back. It was a nice story with a beginning, a middle and an end. It had pathos, tension, dark moments and an uplifting ending. And it made sense.
She politely listened to it. Then it was her turn to tell a story. Hers involved the My Little Pony characters, a tea party on a cloud, something about a rainbow and a crocodile. It went on and on and on and on…It made no sense. The ending left many unanswered questions: how did the crocodile get up on the clouds with the unicorns? Stuff like that. She was pleased to death with her story. She beamed.
I think we may all need to nurture the child inside of us. Remember that our inner child isn’t a naive imbecile--she is our pure spirit, without the wear and tear of adult expectation and disappointment.
Give her a break.
16 comments:
My inner child needed this post. I have to interview an NYT bestseller this week for the paper--I know pity me--but, each time I've taken on one of these assignments, one of two things happens: 1) I get blocked into oblivion or 2) I get lit on fire. Sometimes both happen and I spontaneously combust. Ditto hanging out on too many writer blogs--my unicorns and crocodiles seem so silly and trite and over-analyze everything until I forget why I wanted to create in the first place.
Adult perfectionism is so much more deadly than childish perfectionism. I can remember obsessing over a story or a drawing and being genuinely happy at the result. Perhaps we loose the ability to be Carmen when someone points out the flaw in our work and we believe them. Perhaps becoming more self-critical is simply part of the aging process.
I think we all need to reconnect with our inner four-year old. I know I do. Thanks for a great post.
Whenever I see that-- comment removed by the author, my curiosity almost gets the better of me...did the poster post something then think better of it...did a blog stalker write something obscene and rude? Did a spammer promise to enlarge your penis with three easy steps?
Enquiring minds want to know.
I love Carmen, Alice,and I don't even know her. She reminds me of Alyssa as a young child -- My Little Ponies and all!
When Alyssa was young I used to draw with her a lot. I have some artistic skills -- all the women in my family do, and a few of the men. My college major was graphic art.
Alyssa used to say, "You draw so much better than me. I'll never be as good as you."
I argued with her. The kid had budding talent, that was obvious.
I was right to argue. She is an amazing artist now. She can draw big, horsey circles around me. She takes best of show at the fair with her drawings, excels in art class. Her drawings and paintings are framed around the house.
But what does this have to do with anything?
I don't know. Maybe that even children have fear sometimes. Maybe I just went with the art subject and got way off subject. Maybe I'll just shut up now.
Danita--Don't shut-up! LOL, without you, well, just don't stop. And I know, I am burning with curiosity about the comment deleted thing, too.
I know where you were going with the art thing. It made sense to me. And of course children have fear and I was talking in generalities.
Way, good timing on my part. Now, don't spontaneously combust. Not good for baby. Think of baby and don't combust.
Alice
The comment removed is me. I double posted. Rather than have two identical posts, I hit remove. Blogger needs to come up with a less cryptic way to deal with double posts.
Interesting thoughts, Alice. And I'm with Wavy that fear of failure is learned, not inherent. When a child is encouraged and not criticized, then confidence is nurtured. But once outside influences question their talent they begin to question it themselves. Just a theory.
But I think we also grow into self-criticism because our instincts tell us what's good and what isn't. We need those skills for self-preservation. Did you see the early tryouts for American Idol? Lord have mercy.
When we're children, it doesn't matter if what we create is any good or not. The joy is in the creating. Judgement comes later.
Who was it that said give yourself permission to write crap? I think that's a great credo to live by. Fear of failure can be paralyzing.
And what's this about a baby and combusting. Danita, are you keeping something from us? Is Wavy not the only one with a bun in the oven?
No, Alice was writing that part to Wavy, she just left out the "v". Make sense now, Karen?
I do mostly agree with the children are fearless when young theory. Alyssa was more fearful than most children. Never even climbed a counter, or attempted to escape her crib. As far as most kids, they seem to have magical, fearless thinking until they're about 12. Then pre-adult thinking (and fears)set in.
That said, I like what you wrote Alice, and I got the jest of it. Basically, you're saying don't let your fears eat you alive. Just write!
Write like the wind!
And Wavy, lucky you for such a fun assignment. Go for it girl! It'll be a great article.
I finished your book Riding with the Queen. I loved it. Will bring it to next months meeting.
Danita--I just realized I missed last Friday's Albany Democrat Herald which means I missed your article. Is there any way I can see what you wrote on the internet or am I SOL?
Alice
And yeah, I was trying to write Wavy and wrote Way. Snork! Ha!
Alice, I just checked, and the paper hasn't updated their site -- they still have last year's Focus posted.
I'll bring a copy of the article to the next meeting to share.
I have two more coming out, either in this Friday's edition, next Friday's, or both.
You still have a chance to redeem yourself. Ha! kidding.
Rick and I ran all over town trying to find a paper box with some papers left to buy extra copies to share with family.
What a great post, Alice.
I think fear is so very real in any creative outlet. Esp. writing, because it's so easy to compare your work with others, to feel you don't measure up because in essence you're putting your inner thoughts and feelings out there for the whole world to see and read.
I don't know that we ever really get over that. Gosh, I've been doing this a long time and I'm still not over it. Case in point, last night I purposely didn't take anything to the crit meeting. Why? Because reading my own work outloud scares the beejeezuz out of me. I'm in awe of people like Bethany and Jen who can do it and not feel that raging fear. What if everyone thinks I write crap? What if I really do write crap???? Subbing a chapter to my online crit partners or sending it via email to a a chapter mate is seperate, set back and "safe" because I don't have to watch anyone reading my work. But being in the same room??? Gah. Not there yet.
I let my hubby finally read some of my work after years of hiding it from him. And I nearly chewed my fingernails off as I watched him read it. After about 20 min. I had to leave because 1) he's a slow reader and it was taking too damn long and 2) I felt the need to slit my wrists to put myself out of my misery. Turned out he liked what he read, but it's not a situation I want to put myself into again. I don't know that I'm ever going to be comfortable with people reading my stuff right in front of me.
Eli--ROTFL. Wait until you start selling and people are reading your stuff behind your back! I predict you'll grow a thicker skin (or perish from nerves.) No seriously, I know what you mean. I worry about people reading my stuff, too. I like it better when I'm reading it to them, then I get to interpret what I have written and if I missed important stuff, I can kind of fill it in! LOL. I don't know when it gets easier...
Alice
Sorry this is so late. I've been laid up.
Anyway...
Alice-- You always have such a deep insight on so many different things about life. I love reading what you have to say and thinking about the subjects you come up with.
Of course this topic is so easy to relate to. I have a love-hate relationship with the talents I possess. LOL
Karen is right about the outside influences affecting a little persons outlook on themselves.
As a kid, I used to sing aloud all the time and I wanted to grow up to be a famous singer just like Barbara Streisand. Yeah, I dream big and she was my favorite, well, her and Donna Summer. :)
Anyway, I voiced this to "someone" in my family one time and this person looked at me like I was crazy and said, "What? You can't sing. No one in our family can sing."
Well, that was that. I never sang in front of that person ever again, or anyone else for that matter. My little heart was crushed.
This same person used to assure me that I had ugly feet, too. And I believed it until I got married and my dear, sweet husband kissed my toes and said I had the sexiest feet he'd ever seen. LOL And it took me forever to realize that my feet weren't ugly. I mean, really, their just feet, it's not like they're beautiful or anything, but the person who used to tell me I have ugly feet was wrong. My feet are just fine, damn it! And they work great for walking on, too. :)
Another time, early in our marriage, my dh heard me singing aloud. If I'd known he'd been listening you can bet I wouldn't have been singing. I just about died! But he asked why I didn't do something with the talent I have. I told him, "I can't sing. No one in my family can sing."
When I was 18, I had an opportunity to sing in a real band. They weren't "famous" other than they had gigs all the time in our area. My boyfriend, at the time, played bass guitar for the band and they were in need of a new female lead singer because the one they had was awful. They had to use one of those voice changer thingys that makes you sound better, anyway, they were in dire need of a new lead singer, and to make a long story short, my boyfriend asked me to try out because I'd told him that I could sing waaaay better than the girl they had, lol, but when he begged me to try out, I was too embarrassed and prideful and didn't do it.
I kick myself, real hard, every once in a while, for passing up that opportunity. It would have been so much fun. But, we broke up not too long after that because I was so in love with the guy who is now my husband. So it all worked out, and now I sing in church, solos and everything; so, it's a big ol' happy ending after-all and the person who said I couldn't sing, well, turns out that they got the shock of their life because not only can I sing, but so can my brother! So nah, nah, nah, naaaah, nah, naaaaaahhhh! And Thwpppttt!!!
(that was a very slobbery raspberry)
I'm sure you're all aware of this already; but, I'm just full of all sorts of hang-ups. LOL That's probably why I don't let myself write the way I should.
One thing I hope I never ever do is discourage any of my children when they have a dream. I've always tried to do with them the opposite of what I had as a kid. I pray everyday for their success and that they reach for the stars and embrace their talents.
I've read every one of you girls' writings at one time or another, and I think you're all terrific.
It's obvious why Alice is published as many times as she is, and the rest of you will be too. I'm super picky and I've loved everything I've ever read that you've shared with me. You're all so unique in your writing styles, totally different from one another, but so terrific at the same time.
Keep up the great writing and effort girls, and don't get discouraged or embarrassed or worried. You're all such intelligent, splendid women with superb talents! Never give up!
Thanks for this thought provoking blog Alice, you're always good at getting us to look deeper within ourselves.
Egad Piper, I sound terrible! Like a maudlin old aunt with tasks for everyone!
Your response was great, though, and I loved it because it addressed dreams. And that's really what we're talking about here, isn't it. Dreams. And the right to have them without some jerk spoiling them. You will never do that to your children and I'd like to shake the person who did it to you! Shame on them!
I'm glad you're back on the blog, pretty little feet and all, singing like a canary.
Alice
Alice, I loved this post. A great reminder to let that little girl (or boy) out to play and create -- even if we have to reinvent a child we never were.
Genene--Thanks. And your last remark is very thought provoking...
Alice
Post a Comment