I'm also running low on brain power so I'm shamelessly borrowing an idea from Romance Worth Killing For.
Do you cast your books? Do you find suitable visual stand-ins for your hero and heroine to inspire you? In reading blogs, I noticed that a lot of authors seem to do this, and take a lot of pleasure in finding just the right pictures.
So, sometime back I decided to try to do this for my WIP:
This is my heroine. Genevieve "Gen" Sullivan. My "star search" sent me in the direction of a lot of blond actresses. But, all seemed a bit too plastic for this heroine. Drew Barrymore's look in Never Been Kissed epitomizes the goofy-cute style of my heroine and her self-concious, but still zany sense of humor. I look at this picture to remind myself of her core qualities.
Slap a ponytail on him, and this is my hero, Daniel Fair. Finding a suitable "actor" for my hero was a bit more a challenge. First, this hero is not the typical alpha hero. That ruled out 99% of the male-model type shots. However, he's not a ugly-duckly or some skinny nerd either. He's buff but sensitive. Like with my search for the heroine, I started with obvious physical characteristic and poured through dozens of pictures of pony-tailed guys. After finding the heroine through finding someone who embodied her essence, not just her physical traits, I asked myself who could *really* play this part. After all, hair can be grown/added. After seeing Tahmoh Penikett on both Smallville and Battlestar Galactica, I couldn't see anyone else playing the part. Buff, sensitive, not too talkative, not too alpha, quietly charismatic. I'll forgive him the whole no-ponytail thing.Sometimes, I use my chosen "actors" to help me with characterization---is this how she'd play the part? What facial expression might she use? How would he react? Other times, I ignore the visual, preferring to rely on an internal picture of the character that's more unique and true to my vision. Sometimes, I use both in the same scene.
For my YA, I haven't been able to find the right image. She's a cross between the high school versions of Sookie on Gilmore Girls and Rachel Ray, but also has a snarky side that I just can't find a visual that truly captures.
So, how about you? Who's staring in your current WIP? Who's inspired past MS? Links to pictures would be great! Does the "casting" thing work for you or do you find it a waste of time? If it works for you, how do you find the "perfect" image? Discuss and share your eye candy with the rest of us.
5 comments:
Weird! I wrote and hit publish and my screen went blank! And what I wrote isn't here!
So I'll try it again.
I hadn't thought of "casting" my characters. I get them set in my head and on paper, then when I come across a photo that looks like the character, I clip it and put it where I can see it as I write.
Greeting Cards with Native Americans decorate my desk at the moment as I write on the spirit book. And I listen to NA music.
Great blog, Wavy.
I hope you and the other blog ladies get better soon!
I often have someone in particular in mind as I create my characters and mine are also inspired by celebrities. Not all, but the main characters sometimes are.
One instance that I definitely borrowed from Hollywood was my hero in Project Resurrection. His name is Kaiser and he's 100% based on the actor who played Scully on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. Lol! He's my warrior angel with that rugged handsomeness and gentle manner. Anyone else remember him from that 80s TV show?
I sympathize with your flu, Wavy. Haven't had it yet -- knock on wood -- but practically everyone around me is sick. I take a probiotic (it enhances the immune system) whenever I feel any kind of illness coming on. Knocks it out every time. I haven't had the cold or flu for 2 years.
Today I'm feeling rather retched, though. I had minor surgery at my gyno's office this morning and ow, ow, OW! If a guy ever complains to me again of aches and pains, I swear I'll punch him in the nose. It sucks being a woman sometimes, and it's even worse when you get old! My cervix closed, causing major cramping over the past 7 days, so my gyno obligingly opened it back up for me. I had a root canal two weeks ago that was like having a splinter removed in comparison.
Stay well, everyone!
Karen
Not me. I don't cast my books. I have an image in my mind and that's how I like my characters to stay. I just watched Montana Sky on lifetime the other night - Nora's book made into a movie - aside from the fact I thought it wasn't very good (the romances were portrayed pretty weak in my opinion), the actors cast didn't fit my image of the characters at all. Kinda ruined the whole book for me - evdn though it's been years since I read it.
My CPs cast their characters - as you read at RWKF. I guess some people are more visual and need that picture on their screen to see their characters, I don't. With one exception...I have a hero in an upcoming book who looks like Paul Walker - BIG SURPRISE!! (yes, I know, Lisa. Stop rolling your eyes). Blond hair, blue eyes, crooked grin. He's the only character who's ever fit a celebrity. Of course, I haven't written him yet, so that may change as he comes to life for me.
Great post, Wavy! I hope you're feeling better. My kids had the crud, then I got it this week. Spent Mon. & Tues. in bed, yesterday was okay, feel like I want to die again today. And my newly-turned-two-year-old is sick AND cutting a molar right now. He is not a happy camper, which means *I* am not a happy camper. Oh, and did I mention DH is trying to work out of the house today? Gah!!!!! I need a vacation.
Ouch, Karen! And don't you have a book signing tonight? Take it easy this afternoon. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Wavy and Karen, hope both of you are feeling better soon. DH just went back to work (finally)today. I love him, but with three sick people cooped up in the house for over a week we were really starting to annoy each other...
I write kind of like Paty. I have a picture in my head of my hero and heroine and then usually come across a model in a magazine that looks similar, so I snip that out. I've never used an actor as a model.
Post a Comment