I'm talking about those little mechanisms writers use to bleed out emotion in their stories, to draw you in, flip you over and -hopefully- keep you riveted to the edge of your seat. Things like prologues, epilogues and flashbacks.
Personally, I like prologues, but I know a lot of people who say they never read a prologue, that it's backstory and not relevant to the novel. My thought is, why would someone skip part of the story? Makes no sense to me. I devour books, page one to the end, prologue and all. Granted, I've read books where the prologue really wasn't that great, sometimes not even necessary, and I've read others where the book would have been a great let-down had the prologue been cut.
If you're going to write a prologue, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Be sure the prologue sets the mood for your novel. You're setting up the book for your reader. Don't try to pull a one-eighty to hook them. If your book's a romantic comedy, make sure the prologue's funny. If it's a dark and gritty romantic suspense, there had better be something chilling in that prologue. One of my favorite prologues can be found in Allison Brennan's The Hunt. A woman is running through the Montana wilderness and the man who kidnapped her is hunting her down with a rifle. Yes, this is a dark and gritty RS, and it's set up right from page one of the prologue. Allison said she originally wrote that scene for herself as backstory to get to know her character, but once it was finished realized she had her prologue. Would the book have worked without that particular prologue? Maybe, but I don't think the threat would have been as immediate or as "real" to the reader.
- A prologue should take place before the story starts. Hence, the definition of a prologue. An event that happens an hour or immediately before chapter one isn't really a prologue - it's the beginning of your book. Short chapters are okay. If your book really starts in your prologue, then call it chapter one.
- Don't call your prologue Chapter One if it's really a prologue. Readers are smart, and this is a very irritating phenomenon writers seem to be using more and more because some judge on a contest circuit somewhere said prologues were a no-no. Call it what it is and move on. You aren't fooling anyone by being tricky with your headings.
- Keep your prologue short. The goal is to show a past event that has some major impact on your story now. Long, drawn out prologues defeat their purpose. Three to five pages is your best bet.
- A prologue should have a GOAL. Prologues are not fluff. As with all scenes, they should show something important - characterization, a pivotal turning point for a major character, motivation and/or conflict. If you take the prologue out of your book, the book should suffer. On the flip side, if you can take it out and it doesn't impact your story, then it's not needed in the first place.
Epilogues are another device writers tend to use to evoke emotion. Technically, an epilogue occurs after the story ends. They're often used in romances - particularly romantic suspense - to show the happily ever after moment after the harrowing climax. The hero and heroine kiss; a wedding's taking place; a baby arrives. Whatever your reason for including an epilogue, ask yourself if it's really necessary. I admit to liking prologues a lot, but epilogues usually leave me feeling blah. The story's over, and usually (as far as I'm concerned) the author could have wrapped it all up in the last chapter without the epilogue.
One area I find epilogues helpful though are in series. A lot of times an epilogue really is the hook that gets a reader to move into the second or third book in a series. For example, Cindy Gerard uses epilogues in her Bodyguard Series to get the reader interested in the next book. It's generally a family gathering where the reader sees that yes, the hero and heroine are living happily ever after, but there's always foreshadowing about the next sibling or the next story that will happen. In this case, I can usually stomach them because I'm already somewhat invested in the secondary characters that will become main characters in the next book.
And finally, the last writing device I want to talk about are flashbacks. I recently read an article by Tara K. Harper titled, Flashbacks - Absobloominlutely Not. The gist is that flashbacks are lazy, irritating writing devices new authors tend to use because they don't yet know how to successfully incorporate backstory into their novel. Stephen King calls them weak writing. Why? Because the idea tends to be that flashbacks are "cheating". That you should be able to convey the emotion and event through dialogue and backstory in order to keep the reader "in the moment". I tend to disagree. Granted, I don't want to see flashbacks in every book, but in some instances I think they work. They can also be needed.
JR Ward uses a couple of incredible flashbacks in Lover Awakened, the third book in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series (yes, this is the one Lisa conned me into reading). Could she have told the character-shaping event through dialogue and backstory? No. Not at all. The hero in this book was closed off both emotionally and physically from the people around him. He would have NEVER spilled his guts to anyone and talked about what had happened to him in his past. The only way the reader was going to understand why he was such an ass was through a flashback. And it worked. Now, you might be wondering, if it wasn't explained through dialogue, did the heroine ever learn the backstory? And the answer to that is, not completely. She learned snippets but not the entire thing. And that was okay, because she didn't need to know the details, but in order for the reader to connect with him, the rest of us did.
As with Prologues, there are a few things to keep in mind when writing flashbacks:
- Don't let anyone tell you you CAN'T use a flashback. Only you know your story. Only you know what works and what doesn't. As with all "rules", know when to break them when doing so makes your story better.
- If the flashback shows a crucial moment in the character's life and it's IMPERATIVE to the current story, use a flashback.
- If the flashback isn't relevant to the current story - no matter how much character it shows - don't include it.
So time to chat. How do you feel about prologues, epilogues and flashbacks? And what other writing devices do you like or dislike and why?
14 comments:
I like prologues if they set up the story. I like epilogues if they are needed, I don't like flashbacks unless the information can't be woven into the story any other way and they are necessary to the story.
That said, I've read some books I wish had had prologues and some that the prologue had nothing to do with setting up the story. As well as I've read some epilogues that weren't needed and some that were and weren't there. LOL
So it looks like every writer has their own reasons behind using these devices and it is up to the reader to decide if it helps or hinders the books, since these are all books that have run by editor and been published.
I used a prologue in my first manuscript b/c it worked for the story. It didn't work for the next two stories. As a reader, I absolutely LOVE prologues when they work. When don't prologues work? Gratutious sex and break-up scenes are two of my peeves. Even in spicy books, I want some build up to the sex, and I think you loose some tension. If the MC met before, use backstory or a well placed flashback to show the sex, not the first five pages. I'm also not a fan of a big break-up prologue unless the ex is going to be a major character/villan and important clues are dropped in the prologue. I really like to see prologues in the POV of a main character--a lot of thought should go into making a villan POV prologue or a prologue from a secondary character's POV or a different tone. Some author's really make this work, other times it falls a little flat. I LOVE epilogues so much I often read them first. Bad wavybrains. I adore the glimpse of what happens six months or a year later--love doesn't end at the I love you's. I also love when the epilogue clearly hints a related book or story coming soon. As much as I love prologues and epilogues, I really hate flashbacks. I'd much rather have backstory than flashbacks. Flashback dialogue that goes on for pages is slightly annoying. I've made decisions about what books to buy/read based on the presence of a good prologue or meaty looking epilogue, but nothing makes me close a book faster than pages of flashback in the first two chapters. Great post Eli!
Eli--First of all, please don't read either of my books and if you do, skip the prologues and the epilogues. Nothing happens. They'll irritate the pants off you! Use a black marker and cross them out. Right now, I'll wait while you do it. I don't know why I wrote them. I guess I just kind of like to and never gave it much thought. Yikes, I am so clueless! Done crossing them out--or ripping them out? Whew. Close call.
Secondly, good blog. I like just about anything when used by a skilled writer and when it fits the story. When I am aware of it as a device (esp. with a flashback), then I get antsy and don't like it.
I've read several prologues in mysteries that I love. One i remember happened years before the book started and gave us a glimpse of a child's trauma--I just realized I "borrowed" that idea for my next book--and it was great.
I'll give you another reason category RS sometimes uses epilogues--or at least I do--and that's because I'm either running out of pages and need a short cut to wrap things up or even more likely, because I am not comfortable with a happily ever after scenario for a couple who have known each other for less than a week. With a prologue, time can pass and I feel less guilty about perpetuating the notion that true love can blossom in a few days.
BTW, I have gooded up my email. I can get it but I can't send it so that means I haven't been able to properly fawn over Genene's good news. I am so delighted for her! I want details! I can't even find her phone number. Major frustration. So, Genene, if you are reading this, congrats, baby, you deserve it.
Thanks Eli for a great post.
Alice
Alice---I couldn't agree more with you about using prologues and epilogues to lengthen the time span of typical category book--I really don't like books that begin on Day 1 of meeting and end on Day 5 (or less!!) with marriage proposal. Even if both parties have faced death, villians, loss of property etc--I still don't like very compressed time frames. It is possible to spread the time frame out without loosing tension (See Erin McCarthy, Lori Foster, Suzanne Brockmann among others) or to use backstory, prologue, and epilogue to make the time frame more realistic. My favorite category books are ones that are believable fantasy--and if prologue/epilogue is neccessary to achieve that, then I think it should stay, even if the story COULD stand without it.
At the risk of annoying everyone, I just wanted to say that Paty was kind enough to send me Genene's phone number (thanks, Paty) so I called her and congratulated her. She sounds so tickled!
Thanks for sharing you comment page with my perosnal issues, Eli. I miss email but should have it back to normal next weekend.
Alice
True, Paty. I think every writer has a reason for using one or another device. The key is knowing if it makes the story stronger with or without it. (This is a point when good CPs are invaluable!)
Good point, Bethany. The flashbacks I tend to think "work" are ones that occur later in the book, not in the initial three chapter set-up.
ROFL, Alice. Too late. I read them. And they're GOOD! Stop worrying. I also listened to your new prologue at the crit meeting, remember? And I liked it a lot.
Great point about epilogues. Yeah, the time frame issues is a good reason to have an epilogue, and your point about shorter cat books makes sense, too.
ROFL, Piper. You crack me up. ;)
I'm indifferent on prologues. I'll read them but they don't excite me a lot of the time. I usually don't like flashbacks at all, except for the BDB books of course :-) I LOVE epilogues. They give me the *sigh* moment that I crave in romance books. I enjoy seeing the wedding scene, birth, etc. They make me happy.
I agree with Lisa and wavybrains when it comes to epilogues and those sigh moments.
Alice
ROFL. Ya'll are sappy, you know that??? Maybe that's why you write romance. :)
I love it!!!
I adore epilogues. If I'm reading a really good book I hate for it to end. An epilogue gives me one more shot to be with the characters I've grown to love. If it's not a really good book, I've put it down before I make it to the epilogue anyway.
Prologues? I can take 'em or leave 'em -- depends on the story.
Don't care much for flashbacks, although I've seen them done effectively.
Interesting post, Elisabeth
Okay, I 'spose I'm late in commenting on this post, but I only just discovered the blog. So I'm playing catch up. And it's likely no one will even read this.
I used to hate prologues and skip them, thinking they were exactly what the definition implies: before the story starts. I didn't want anything to do with "before" the story, I wanted to be in it "now." Well, I've since changed my tune. I've now become... indifferent. I just hate the prologues that are done incorrectly, the ones that snatch a scene from later in the book and stick it at the beginning as a device to hook the reader. It's a cheat. And very annoying.
Love epilogues for the most part, especially if it comes at the end of a book I absolutely love! I can't get enough of the story and will read more of it off the back of a cereal box if it's available. [snort] In fact, I've been known to torture myself at the end of an excellent book by finishing it very slooooowly. Read 2 pages, stop. Read 2 more pages, stop again. Repeat until done. Exquisite torture!
Flashbacks? I'm fine with them. They can really add a lot to a book when they're necessary to the story, as Alice said. It's ill-advised to have them appear too close to the beginning of a story, and an absolute no-no to start a story with one, but they can reveal a lot about a character and/or situation. They can be invaluable. I use a really short one in my latest book because it reveals a lot about a character who's important to the plot but hasn't yet appeared on stage. I needed to establish the relationship between this character and my heroine because it was integral to the plot. My editor thought it worked, and so do I.
Karen
Post a Comment