Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Knowing your audience

The last couple of days I have been thinking about that a lot - knowing the audience for your writing. I think it's important to know who you want to read your book. Not only will it help you write it, it will help you market it.

I've been talking to a someone about this. She had an idea for a scene, but was worried it would be too much, maybe cross the line. I'll admit, it's a racy idea but I think it fits into her style of writing. I said to her that people who like her writing wouldn't be bothered by that. She's an edgy writer. Inspirational readers should not pick up one of her books, but someone like me would.

I know we all want our book to be liked by everyone, but trying to please a wide range of readers will only make our books weaker. We need to know who we are targeting. Is someone who likes a lot of sex scenes (am I a romance writer Antichrist for calling them sex scenes instead of love scenes?) going to like my book? Or on the other end, will my sex scenes offend some readers?

If I'm going to pick up a Laurell K. Hamiltion book, I'm going to read some fairly hardcore sex. I know a Katie MacAlister book will have explicit sex. I know a Michelle Rowen book will be sexy, but not explicit. These are things I expect from an author. I'm sure you all have favorite authors and pick up their books for certain reasons, whether its because they have the most tortured heroes, or a very sweet romance, or on the more explicit side.

As writers, we need to remember that. We need to think like our potential readers. I don't want to go too jargony on you, but we need to brand ourselves. If someone is expecting a sweet romance and picks up your book to find a racy love triangle, you may lose a reader. And hey, isn't that what pseudonyms are for? Lots of writers have multiple names they write under for various genres or steamy levels.

I have an assignment for you, feel free to put it in the comments if you like. Ask yourself this, "what would a (insert your name) reader expect when picking up my book?" I'd answer it now but a certain someone is pressuring me to get this up so she can read it before going to the gym *a-hem* so I'll put my answer in the comments as well.

18 comments:

Lisa Pulliam said...

A Lisa Pulliam reader would expect fairly light and humorous, with some dark moments. Nothing too serious the whole way through. And they would expect some steamy and fairly explicit sex, not erotica, not sweet. A bit in the middle I suppose. Ok well I'll be honest, it leans more toward the erotica side from the middle.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love this line:

"...trying to please a wide range of readers will only make our books weaker."

Very, very true. Bestselling authors got where they are today because they pushed the envelope. They took chances and gambled at what "their" readers would enjoy reading. I think that's part of the reason I like JR Ward's books so much. It's not that the vampire idea is new, or the struggle for good and evil is fresh and original (honestly, it's not). It's that she pushes the limits with the things her characters do and say. Halfway through book two the hero did something so awful and against every romance-reader's golden rules that I nearly screamed. I kept reading because I "had" to see where it went, sure there was no way the writer could turn that around. But she did, and by the end I was totally rooting for that hero regardless of what he'd done. (okay...like 50 pgs later I was totally rooting for him.)

Playing it safe will only keep you in the same place you are now.

Great post, Lisa!!!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh yeah, I forgot the whole reader thing...

An Elisabeth Naughton reader would expect spine-tingling suspense and a sexy romance, a hint of humor, a bit of snark (okay, a little more than a bit). The topic might be serious, but the focus on the main characters keeps the book from being too dark over all.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Pushing the envelope - great phrase for it and you're totally right! And I completely agree about J.R. Ward's books. She has definitely pushed the envelope with the behavior and attitudes, well and even culture of her heroes. But I devour those books like no other and the 6 month wait between them kills me like no other. Almost halfway to the next one!!!! Is it September yet?!?!?!?

Lisa Pulliam said...

That's a great description! And it's definitely true, you have dark subject matters but your books don't make me want to cry or hurt something out of frustration like other RS books I've read. The ones that go a bit too dark for my romance taste.

Paty Jager said...

A Paty Jager reader will expect a character driven book with light humor and steamy love scenes. Not token sex.

This brings up something that happened at my reading a couple of weekends ago. I have the two books out. Marshal in Petticoats has 4 hot love scenes. The story is a romp through gold country. Gambling on an Angel has one poignant love scene. At the reading a young woman who we learned about through her father's essays bought Marshal in Petticoats. When she walked away my daughter said, "You should have told her to buy the other book." Why? Because the young woman was home schooled and fairly sheltered and my daughter felt MIP would be too provocative. But the reader bought the book because she grew up in the area where the book is set.

Should I have warned her? Would it have made a difference? I don't know, but as soon as I find that young woman's business card to see if she is willing to set up a reading and book signing at the book store where she works, I'll let you know! ;)

Lisa Pulliam said...

That's a great example, Paty, and a good point you brought up. How far should an author go, if at all, to warn their readers? You were in a sticky situation. On one hand, the reader may like MIP for the location as you said and she could certainly skip the love scenes. And it could be presumptuous to warn her without her expressing a concern about the steamy level. On the other hand, it could offend a reader. Very tough situation. But update us when you find out if she's willing to set up a reading :)

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty--for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. When I worked at the library a young Mennonite woman used to come into the library and sequester herself in the paperback room where she read steamy romances for awhile and then left without checking them out. Just because someone has led a sheltered life doesn't mean they can't enjoy a good sex scene between caring partners and that's what you write.

I don't know how I feel about this subject, Lisa. I have to leave the house soon so I won't be able to sit on this and think and respond later though I will think about it today. As for myself, I hope an Alice Sharpe reader gets a well plotted, fast moving story with however much sex and romance the particular characters demand. I hope he or she puts it down with a lump in her throat and I dearly hope that sometime in the ensuing hours, she will think back to something she read and smile.

I don't want to write the same book forever. I don't want readers to feel they've been with me on this journey before. That said, we are who we are and who I am is in my books so it makes sense that my books will all reflect the basics of my character. I can't reinvent the way I write so there will be a thumbprint, so to say. I just have to hope people enjoy the print.

Ah, that we could live up to our own expectations.

Thanks for a great post, Lisa. My turn tomorrow.
Alice

Danita Cahill said...

It's hard to brand ourselves isn't it? It feels limiting to me, yet I know it's important, even more so to publishers, I think, than to readers.

A Danita Cahill reader would expect a healing/redemption story with page-turning suspense, and surprising paranormal elements interwoven with a happily-ever-after romance.

Thought-provoking post, Lisa. Good job.

Paty Jager said...

Ahhh, Danita, you didn't mention the M&M/nacho thing! LOL

For those wondering after I read Danita's WIP I told her it was fun (the humor) like eating M&M's and scary (the paranormal) like eating nachos.

So she writes M&M/Nacho stories! LOL

Danita Cahill said...

Thanks, Paty.

Bummer that the M&M brand is already taken, huh?
I still want your comment on my book cover though...it's a classic. Ha!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I get the fun M&M thing, but what's scary about nachos?

Eli
(Who likes nachos)

chanceofbooks said...

A my-yet-to-be-decided-pseudo reader would expect a funny, sexy, heartwarming story. My books are like good chick flicks--great with popcorn, better with chocolate, and best shared among friends.

Paty Jager said...

LOL, Eli- Okay how about jalapenos! It isn't so much that nachos are scary but the extreme difference between the Sweet M&M's and the hot/spicy nachos. Okay, have I made myself sound any more stupid!

Wavy - Loved your description of your books!

Paty Jager said...

PS: How do you get the the quotes to be italicized???

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, now I get it. LOL. I thought they were like rabid nachos that jumped up and bit you when you tried to eat them. *shudder* Now that would be scary.

As for italics, you have to use HTML tags before and after whatever it is you want to italicize or underline or bold.

Karen Duvall said...

Fun post, Lisa. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but by the time I had a chance to read the blog, it was around bed time and I could hardly keep my eyes open.

What should readers expect from a Karen Duvall book? My first goal is to entertain, so entertainment is what they'll get. They can expect a fast-paced story with memorable characters that will stay with them long after they close the book. They're guaranteed surprises and many unexpected twists and turns beginning with page one. Well, that's my hope, anyway. 8^) I'd also like to be known for my unique plots.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Well, a Christina F. York story/book? Here's part of the bio I wrote for a recent anthology sale ---

"... a closet romantic. She is learning to embrace her "sappy side," and it shows in her work.
"...display her belief in the power of love stories. But romance doesn't mean weak ... girls can kick ass, too!"

So, a "sappy" romance, but a heroine who isn't afraid to stand up for herself, and demand respect and attention.

If that makes ANY sense!

Chris