Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Wrapped in Romance

The first lap-sized quilt I ever made was for a dear friend's wedding. The couple got married outdoors one September (on a lovely sunny day, thank goodness), and wanted "something autumn-y" on which to stand. Secretly, I endeavored to create a sturdy quilt for them, but when it wasn't finished in time, I purchased a handmade afghan to fill the spot, with which they were very happy.

When I surprised them with the quilt a few months later, they liked it even better than the afghan (Of course! Smart friends...), and keep it in their living room. I see it there every time I visit, which is a wonderful feeling.

The quilt is based on a Fence Rail I found in a book of antique quilt patterns. Again, though I don't have a picture of the quilt, years later I re-created it in my computer program, Electric Quilt, so I have this image.  It was so much fun to make that I have been thinking of doing another one in different colors. It's easy, showy, and quick; all my favorites!

So, what do you think of their idea, to stand on a quilt or blanket outdoors during a wedding? I have always thought this was pretty darn romantic. Since it was part of the ceremony, later the quilt is a daily reminder of the couple's vows. If they snuggle under it, then in a way they are snuggling wrapped in their commitment to each other. Nice, huh? Could be quite useful in a book, if you happen to know anyone who is writing one...

Happy Writing!

1 comment:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Meggan! I kind of shy away from standing on anything so pretty. However, then you followed that up with snuggling under this quilt being a reminder of commitment. That's definitely romantic!