Thursday, March 21, 2013

Oh, today is Thursday?


My apologies! Because I work at home doing things I love, it often takes me awhile to figure out what day it is. However, I usually surface long enough to make my commitments--I'm a bit slow in doing that today. So this blog post is late. 

Adding to my usual offhand attitude about the day and time is the stunner of one of my dogs dying suddenly on Monday afternoon. I consider myself pretty intuitive and am an animal communicator, so I knew his passing would be connected to his seizures and he wouldn't be in that physical body very long. Still, this took me totally by surprise. 

Interestingly, his presence is stronger than ever and, after some intense grieving, I am at peace with what happened. And my beloved Stewart is pushing me even stronger to pursue my dreams. 

So I am! I've made great progress on the last contracted story of my Halo Legacy Series; have a draft cover that is different enough from others I've designed that I'm not sure it will be the final one. So I'm sharing it with you here for comments. I'm not going to tell you what the story is about, because I want to have your honest comments--what does this cover say to you about the story?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. If you looked at the draft cover earlier and think this one looks different, it is! As I'm working on this story, I also had thoughts about the cover, so changed it. I like this one much better, but would still like comments. :)

2 comments:

Deborah Wright said...

Hi Genene. So sorry to hear about your dog. It's hard to lose one of our four-legged friends, I know.

Re: your cover -- the first thing that springs to mind is, of course, the obvious -- the book must deal with a pregnancy. And, is that a teddy bear in a suit with an attache case? That brings up all kinds of questions. Does he represent the baby in some way? Or is he a lawyer bringing legal papers (the attache case) who is really a "teddy bear" inside? Enough questions that I'd want to know why he's on the cover.

FYI -- I really like the way you've redone the covers for this series. They look very professional and I like that they're all tied together with a similar style. Nice job!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Deb! Thank you for your sympathies about my doggie. Did some intense grieving for a couple days but am at peace now, as he is making his presence solidly known. They never really leave us. :)

I also appreciate you taking the time to comment on my draft cover. I like that the cover raises many questions! Which will lead to someone reading a blurb, which will lead to a sale, then falling in love with this book and wanting to read the entire series. Just what I want!

I also appreciate the kudos about the covers for the entire series. One of the advantages AND drawbacks of designing my own covers is I tend to be hyper-critical and wish I would have done something different--the perspective of hindsight. I'm grateful to my publisher for allowing me to use these new covers!