Friday, February 08, 2013

I'M COMIN' OUT--MORE STORY THAN SEX


by Genie Gabriel

Yes, two blogs from me back to back! I'm obviously between stories and have too much time on my hands--and have been doing too much thinking. LOL!

This week has been a series of epiphanies for me. One of those epiphanies is around how I have struggled to "label" what I write. 

I finally realized why struggle? Just tell is like it is--I mean, like they are. 

My books are more story than sex. 

If you want hot sex in what you're reading, I know many wonderful writers who can deliver that. If you want sweet romances, those also abound.

While my books may not be scorch-your-eyeballs hot, neither are they sweet romances. I was scanning back through LEGACY OF ANGELS, book #2 of my Halo Legacy Series, for a PG excerpt between the two main characters--a former priest and a former prostitute. That was a challenge! 

Yet there was no consummated love scene in that book. The story ends shortly after their first kiss. 

On the other hand, the first love scene in LIVING THE LEGACY comes less than halfway through the book, when the two main characters are on their honeymoon. Their physical attraction for each other is part of what binds them together when they realize how different they are after they marry. Yet the second half of the book isn't one sex scene after another. They resolve their conflicts AND continue to appreciate each other through love-making. 

So my epiphany was the realization I didn't need to struggle to "label" my stories. The ground between sweet, chaste romances and fiery, burn-up-the-pages sex offers an incredible world of sensual, emotional stories exploring real life issues--and a few fantasies. Oh, and sometimes mystery and humor. :)

Do you struggle to label the stories you write or read? Or are you smarter than me and simply enjoy the story?

6 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

You nailed what I have struggled to also label. Romance has a bad rep and yet there are so many kinds. Like you, I consider my stories more story than sex but I like writing about healthy sexuality; so it's there. I'd love to have a title that worked for those books that aren't sweet but aren't erotic. If you come up with one, I'll be watching for it.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Rain! I was thinking there had to be more of us who write--and want to read--romances that "aren't sweet but aren't erotic." That leaves us such a huge, wonderful world of relationships to explore!

Just when I was going to stop trying to label my stories, you ask for a subgenre title for them. LOL! Maybe we can sponsor a contest for someone to name the subgenre. :)

Rain Trueax said...

I use adult romance for now. I do it to make sure people don't buy them by mistake thinking they will be sweet. It doesn't really quite say it though

Meggan McQuaid said...

I write "Sensual Romantic Fantasy." How's that?

:)

Meggan

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Rain, you're right that adult romance is close but not quite there. Ah, well, I don't really like labels anyway. They can be helpful but also limiting.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Meggan! "Sensual Romantic Fantasy" sounds very intriguing...but what exactly does that mean? Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about labels, though, because each person will bring their own interpretation anyway. :)