Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Carribean Baby


I read a blog by Paty Jager today*, and she inspired me to share a few of my own early quilts. This post was originally very long, which might have put people off. Who has time to read long blog posts? Not me! So probably not you either. Therefore, I've shortened it, and it occurred to me that each of my quilts has a story in it; why couldn't those stories be made into books?


Caribbean Baby
The very first quilt I ever made was out of bright Caribbean colors for a new baby in our family that was being adopted from Haiti. (I come from a family of petite red-heads, and this boy is dark like the best chocolate, and tallllll.) I understood the basics of quiltin, so off I went, entirely sans education. I worked from a graph-paper pattern, cut, pinned and sewed, and, for the most part, the quilt came out really well. Even the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting I did went well, except...I stitched it after I bound it. It warped, of course, but I'd had no training. Live and learn! I don't have a picture of the actual quilt, but I used the original graph-paper pattern and re-created it in my quilting program many years later.

Have you ever set a story in the Caribbean, or used the idea of foreign adoption in one of your stories? Until next time, Happy Writing!

*http://anastasiapollack.blogspot.com/2013/02/book-club-friday-guest-author-paty-jager.html

3 comments:

Christine Young said...

Your quilts are absolutely beautiful.

Meggan McQuaid said...

Thanks, Christine. That's a lovely thing. :)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Wow! You have made a lot of quilts! So much work to these. Thank you for sharing!