Thursday, January 03, 2013

WRITING BECAME PART OF ME in 2012


I love how Meggan started our year with the One Big Thing. Her post focused my attention on my top priority for 2013, which doesn't happen to be exclusively writing. 

On further thought, I realized how much progress I made last year, when writing was my One Big Thing. I wrote or promoted my writing pretty much every day in 2012. 

And guess what? Writing moved beyond being a priority. It became part of me.

That means I'm not leaving writing behind in 2013. Writing will continue to be a big part of my life:
--I started off 2013 with a new release, LEGACY UNDER FIRE, which is book #6 of my Halo Legacy Series.
--I have four more releases scheduled this year: three more Legacy books in March, May and July, as well as a novella that's part of an anthology to be released in May.
--I'll continue to promote these releases and, in fact, expand those efforts. 
--I'll be learning animation and finding out more about graphic novels in the quest to find new ways to present my stories. 
--More characters in my Halo Legacy Series are nagging to have their stories told.
--Ideas are bubbling about expanding my romantic comedy novellas into some steampunk settings and giving a bigger role to the dogs in those stories.
--I'll be expanding my writing into nonfiction by keeping a journal of my experiences in Going Back to the Country.

The realization I've moved from writing being something I do when I carve out the time to writing being part of me is huge in my corner of the world. This wasn't done in one incredible leap, but one sentence, one scene, one book, one online appearance at a time--every day over the past year.

Then Barb talked about dreams and letting go of old things to make room for the old. Wow! That post resonated with me also! To realize my dream of having property for my doggies and me, I'm letting go of a house I've lived in for about 25 years. I'm letting go of city life. I'm letting go of a do more, work harder mindset, and many other habits and thoughts that aren't in my best interest any more. 

So I'm cleaning out my mental (and literal) closets to make room for a dream, and approaching 2012 one research article, one property search, one self-sufficient process at a time. 

Of course, I won't refuse a quantum leap either!

4 comments:

Deborah Wright said...

I love this! And if there's one thing I've found true about my own writing it's that the more I write, the more easily ideas for characters, scenes and stories come to me. And when I step away from writing for too long, the harder it is to return to it.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

I agree, Debbie. Writing often is a good habit!

Paty Jager said...

You have been steaming straight ahead, Genene! And I'm so happy you are getting so many great stories out there.

I'm looking forward to having a fun and furious 2013.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL about your choice of words, Paty, as I am going to be venturing into the land of steampunk for a novella and was just going to post an e-mail to the group asking for recommended reads and resources.

I agree 2013 is going to be fun, but I'm also looking for the pace to be a bit more sane rather than furious. We'll see how that goes. :)