Wednesday, January 23, 2013

More Ideas than Time



I'm a writer who has more ideas and characters than time to write them. I can get a great story idea at least once a day, I mull it over and if it won't go away or becomes even more ingrained in my thoughts, I jot it down either in one of my computer folders or an actual folder of ideas I have in my file cabinet.

The same goes for characters. I don't  get one of those a day but when one comes to me and sticks in my mind, becoming more and more real, I jot down the information for them and in some instances even come up with a story that they would work in.

Right now I have a real strong secondary character in my mind. I brainstormed a bit about her with Danita Cahill on our way to a booksigning this past weekend. My main character in my mystery thinks of the secondary character in this way. "Crazy Lil came with the ranch like a stray cat. She helps me out and I provide a place for her to live and food to eat."

I've thought of "Crazy" Lil as being simple minded, a lover of animals, and a person who is diligent at their tasks. Danita gave me some great ideas of backstory for her to explain why she won't leave her grandparent's ranch even after they are dead and it has been sold. It also gave me some insight into the mystery that will revolve around Lil and her past. Her mystery story that will be down the line from several others I've come up with for my mystery series.

Are you a prolific idea collector? Or can you come up with ideas at the same speed you can write them? Or if you do hobbies, do you dream up more projects than you can sanely make?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the rest of this month you can purchase Secrets of a Mayan Moon for $.99 at Kindle.

What happens when a brilliant anthropologist is lured to the jungle to be used as a human sacrifice?

Blurb:
Child prodigy and now Doctor of Anthropology, Isabella Mumphrey, is about to lose her job at the university. In the world of publish or perish, her mentor’s request for her assistance on a dig is just the opportunity she’s been seeking. If she can decipher an ancient stone table—and she can—she’ll keep her department. She heads to Guatemala, but drug trafficking bad guys, artifact thieves, and her infatuation for her handsome guide wreak havoc on her scholarly intentions.

DEA agent Tino Kosta, is out to avenge the deaths of his family. He’s deep undercover as a jaguar tracker and sometimes jungle guide, but the appearance of a beautiful, brainy anthropologist heats his Latin blood taking him on a dangerous detour that could leave them both casualties of the jungle.


Secrets of a Mayan Moon is available at Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords


10 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Just popping in here so I can hit follow comments!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Paty, I have more ideas than I can write unless I live to be 200.

Danita Cahill said...

Our brainstorming session was fun, Paty. I can't wait to read the rest of your new mystery. So, hurry up and write it, would ya? Ha! I know you've had your plate full of family responsibilities and interuptions. But isn't it true? No matter how busy life gets, the ideas just keep flowing. My MIL said she might have one book in her, then she'd probably never have another idea in her life for a second book. I so could not relate!

Meggan McQuaid said...

My ideas come from my dreams, almost exclusively. A couple of years ago I had a deluge of great ideas (the Muse invading my dreams) and recorded them all, like you. I feel fortunate: those ideas are promising, exciting, intriguing. So now when I get a new idea, I can measure it against the others already "vetted." If it's just as good, it gets written. If it's just not, it gets forgotten!

Paty Jager said...

Caroline, I know the feeling!

Hey Danita! I'm trying! I'm trying! I agree. There are so many ideas buzzing in my head all the time, I'm surprised I have been diagnosed as a schizophrenic!

Hi Meggan! Danita's books come from dreams too! Great idea on the vetting.

Marian Lanouette said...

I agree with the more ideas than time to write. Good luck with your books.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Paty! Yes, always more ideas than time--not just with writing but with other parts of my life. The biggest challenge is to choose which ones to cultivate. :)

Paty Jager said...

Thanks Marian, and good luck with you time and ideas as well!

Genene, I agree the hardest part can be deciding which thing to work on and which one to toss aside. Thanks for chiming in!

Karen Duvall said...

Interesting post, Paty. :) My ideas come in waves. Either a flood or not a drop. But when I get them, I write them down. I do better under pressure, though. Like when my editor wanted a choice of 4 ideas to pick from. I think my brain went into overdrive, but I did it. And I still have the ones she didn't pick that I can use for something else.

Paty Jager said...

Karen, I'm the opposite. I hate pressure! And I feel like I don't put out my best work when hurrying to finish something. Waves of ideas would be a nice change of pace. Thanks for stopping by!