Friday, January 25, 2013

A Chat With My Muse



I give my muse a disgusted look. "Where the hell have you been?"


He blinks and swipes his sleeve under his nose. "Huh?"


"I've been waiting for your awesome inspiration, but you've been hiding from me. What's up with that?"


"I haven't been hiding," he says with a shrug. "You just haven't been looking."


Oh. My. God. A smartass muse who is... absolutely right. I was so absorbed in the holidays and stressing over my upcoming surgery that I'd forgotten about him. Now I feel bad.


"Look, Musey. I'm sorry if I sounded bitchy." I hang my head. "It's my fault, not yours."


He offers me a half-smile and pats me on the shoulder. "Don't be so hard on yourself. I've been by your side all along, you simply didn't notice."


"You have?"


Nodding, he adds, "How do you think those ideas for revamping your plot came to you?"


Surprised, I suck in a breath. I'd been half asleep and still in bed when I got those ideas. I haven't even written them down yet. "How did you know?"


"Silly girl." He chuckles. "I know everything about you. I'm your muse, remember? Living inside your head makes me privy to your deepest thoughts and dreams."


I feel suddenly exposed and back up a few steps.


He rolls his eyes. "Babe, you can't get away from me no matter how hard you try. You're a writer! You need me."


Shaking my head, I say, "No, I don't. My ideas are my own, not yours."


"Who said they weren't yours?" He exhales an exasperated sigh. "I'm your muse, not your master. I assist you, support you, challenge you. The rest is up to you."


Wow. I'd never thought of it that way. Here I've been waiting for him to show up, and he never even left. I just wasn't paying attention.


He wraps his arm around my shoulder and steers me along a path made of rough wooden planks. It leads toward a bank of thick fog and I hear ocean waves pounding the sand to my right. I stop to peer into the darkness ahead, as wisps of gray mist swirl around my feet.


"What's wrong?" he asks me.


"I'm scared," I say, a shiver raising goosebumps on my arms. "I don't know what's in there. Do you?"


His arms tighten around me, and the warmth of his body makes my shivers go away. "No. But I'll stay with you, no matter what. We'll tackle whatever we find in there… together."




16 comments:

TeriBrownwrites said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TeriBrownwrites said...

I have had that exact same convo with my muse. Good luck, Karen!

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Teri! :)

Viola Cross said...

Great blog, Karen!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL! My muse and I make dates. I ask her to show up at a certain time and there she is! Thanks for the chuckle. :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I have to admit I haven't allowed my muse into my conscious. I think it would make me even crazier than I already am. I count on my subconscious being in control of my writing--at least first drafts.

When I get to editing is perhaps the closest my muse comes to consciousness as she peaks out on occasion to say "Uh, uh. You're thinking too much again." :)

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Viola, Genene and Maggie. I neglect my muse, as is obvious from my post. Poor guy. But even if we never talk, he just reminded me to always remember he's there, silently nudging me along.

Melia Alexander said...

Wow. I'm kinda thinking my muse and I need to talk!

Great post, Karen.

Hugs,
Melia

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Melia! See you Monday. :)

Mary Gillgannon said...

Hmmm. I've never thought of my muse as being a guy. Mine is sort of a fairy creature I catch a glimpse of out of the corner of my eye once in awhile. I'm not sure he/she has a specific gender and "it" definitely doesn't speak to me. More a sign language/telepathy sort of thing.

Interesting post. Made me think, Karen.

DebStover said...

I've always seen Muse as female as well. Perhaps yours would be more fun. ;). Seriously, like Mary, mine is more ethereal. I do like your description. Very much. Happy writing.

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Mary! :) Well, I'm not surprised that your muse is a fairy like creature. That fits you. Good to know it communicates with you in some way.

Karen Duvall said...

Hey, Deb! Thanks for stopping in. The muse is typically female, I think, but I need a male's perspective more often than I need a female's, so I kind of molded my guy to fit my needs.

Danita Cahill said...

Fun post, Karen. And so glad I can see it now! My muse is totally invisible, but yes, always there flitting about somewhere close.

Danita

Karen Duvall said...

Yay, Danita! I'm so glad you can finally see it. That was very frustrating not knowing how to fix the problem. Then Debbie to the rescue! Cheers for Debbie! :)

Mary Frances Roya said...

My Muse disappeared too. But I think I pushed her/him away. But I am going to invite them back. I decided to take a week off work to work on my story. Fingers' crossed. Loved your conversation with your Muse.