Friday, September 14, 2012

More Memories

Current Project: Edits for A Marriage of Inconvenience
Status: Pub date: December 1, 2012

Throughout the life of this chapter, it has struggled to survive. The only time we had enough members to really function well was during Genene's presidency. At that time, I believed we had made it and the chapter would continue to grow. Not really sure what happened. 

If Genene joined the chapter in '92 I must have joined around 1990. I know that I was only a member for a couple of months before I was elected secretary. The members were thrilled to have an eager new author among their ranks.

Before I could blink, I was president. I don't remember how long I held this office. I know it was at least four years. It might have been longer. 

Genene do you remember how long I was president?

Anyway once again, I held the office until I could talk someone else into doing the job. If my memory holds true that person was Michelle Marks. Again, Genene jump in any time.

As a chapter we held a conference every year. We met authors such as Susan Wiggs, Stella Cameron, Robin Hatcher, Lisa Jackson, Catherine Anderson, and so many more...

I would never give up those times. They were so rewarding. I hold them dear to my heart and am so saddened by the end. Although like Genene I understand that it is probably the right decision. I would love to get together with the authors of this chapter from time to time, however, I fear that this will most likely not happen. 

I hope someone with lots of organizational skills can put something together a couple of times a year. 

It's been such a great journey. As tears brim in my eyes, I'm going to quit.
Thank you to all the wonderful people I have met through this chapter.

3 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Ah, Chris, you have brought tears to my eyes too. This chapter has been such an important part of my life. I wouldn't be writing or be published without the support, sharing and nudging/encouragement of our members and guests. To all who have been part of this chapter--(((HUGS))) and THANK YOU!!!

Annabeth Albert said...

Oh now I'm teary too. I joined in 2005--I'd just finished my first book and assumed publication was imminent. Seven years later, I finally sold, and I know that it never would have happened without the great things I learned as part of MWVRWA. My teaching schedule and having toddlers just didn't make meetings work out the last few years. I'm very sad to see the chapter disband :( :( :(

Thank you to everyone--to Genene especially, for being chapter president when I first joined, for making me feel welcome and *real.* To Chris for hosting the wonderful Christmas parties--so many good memories. To Barb for her wit and wisdom. To Debbie for keeping things going.

I'll be at Emerald City in October--hope to see some of you there! I'm on twitter/facebook/etc --please keep in touch.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Annabeth/Bethany, thank you for your kind words. I've met so many wonderful people through our chapter.

I won't be at Emerald City, but Meggan has a writers' group formed that is open to all. I'll let her give details when she checks in.