Thursday, September 13, 2012

MEMORIES

Current Project: Halo Legacy Series
Status: Wrapping up book #6
Posted by: Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel


With the vote at the last meeting to dissolve our chapter, I feel the need to blog about something related to that. I'm just not sure what direction my ramblings will take. 


I joined RWA and the Mid-Willamette Valley chapter in 1992--twenty years ago. I didn't need to think about joining very long. I walked into a group of writers as a visitor and wrote out a check that night. I thought I'd found heaven. 

Over the years, I attended conferences and meetings, frantically taking notes from speakers who were writers--published writers! Oh, the things I learned! And realized I had so much more to learn. 

I found critique partners, entered contests, submitted to editors, became a chapter officer. And became a published author that others looked to for suggestions and answers. 

Over all those years as I was evolving, so was the publishing industry and technology. A number of factors led to the dwindling membership in our chapter. I am sad to see the chapter dissolve, but I also think it was the right decision for this time in our history. 

As we wrap up our business affairs, that sadness is mingled with anticipation that publishing holds many opportunities for good stories with more options coming in the near future. 

I hope to stay in touch with many of our members, and look forward to watching the careers of fellow writers take flight. May you all believe in your dreams and keep writing!


Please visit my Web site at www.GenieGabriel.com

No comments: