Thursday, July 19, 2012

A NEW FRONTIER

Current Project: LEGACY SERIES
Status: promoting book #3, editing book #6
Posted by: Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel



My son, grandson and I went to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum on Sunday for the first time. I was fascinated!

I really enjoyed the aviation part--I talked about the Spruce Goose (largest airplane ever built) on both the Rogue's Angels blog <http://roguesangels.blogspot.com/> and my Legacy blog <http://oshealegacyseries.blogspot.com/> yesterday. 

However, my imagination really kicked in when we walked into the Space building. Wow! How can I weave space travel into my Legacy Series? LOL!

Two things struck me the most:
1) Those space capsules are really small--we're talking bathroom stall size. It would be a relief to get out of the capsule and float in the infinite area of space for awhile!
2) What a large part politics, fear and the Cold War played in catapulting us from the first airplane flight to a man on the moon in just 66 years. (This is my opinion, not necessarily that of the museum or anyone else.) 

Until I finish my Legacy Series, my urge to incorporate space travel will probably have to wait. But who knows, the founders of my fictional town of Halo, Oregon, loved the stars, so maybe there's a way I can work this in. Hmm…

Have you ever visited somewhere that begged--or demanded--to be the setting of one of your stories?

2 comments:

Meggan McQuaid said...

No, unfortunately things don't work that way for me. More often it goes like this.

1. I write: "He walked into the large dining room and remembered the times when his mother had 16 people to dinner, all at this one table."

2. I think; "Golly, I need a mansion!"

3. I spend two hours online looking for exactly the right mansion and then trying to find floor plans for it.

4. I get tired of this, give up, and spend more time drawing my own damn mansion.

It would be a heck of a lot easier if I could just see a place and want it in my story!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Meggan! I usually adapt my settings--perhaps start with something online or a photo in a magazine, and then "remodel."