Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Adventures in Self-Publishing: Some Quotes and BSP



A few quotes and some blatant self-promotion...


I released my third book this week.  I started this particular book when I was a teenager.  All these years, it's been back and forth, in one form or another, never really finished and never really in a form that seemed to be what I wanted it to be.

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." (Maya Angelou)

But I could never let it go.  It kept coming back, needing to be told.  There was something way down in the heart of it that I had to work out.

"The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for want of an understanding ear." (Stephen King)

Eventually it became a whole book.  When it was done, I was kind of surprised at what the story ended up being about, because I hadn't consciously set out for where I ended up.

"Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it." (Lloyd Alexander)

It made all the rounds of agents and editors, and got a lot of positive feedback, but it just "wasn't commercial."  It just "didn't fit the market."

"Writing is the hardest way of earning a living, with the possible exception of wrestling alligators." (Olin Miller)

So now, out it goes into the world.

"The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all." (Mark Twain)

Will it be a success?  Who knows.  So far it's starting to sell without me even announcing it's been released, including two copies sold in Germany on the first day (who knows why).

"Stories may well be lies, but they are good lies that say true things, and which can sometimes pay the rent." (Neil Gaiman)

It served its original purpose, which was purely personal.

"I write to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." (Joan Didion)

Now I can just hope it serves some purpose in the world, and isn't just a waste of pixels on someone's overstuffed Kindle.

"There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts." (Charles Dickens)

Happy writing, everyone!  May your journey be smooth, and may all your stories find an understanding ear. :-)

Barb

2 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Awesome! Congratulations on this release!

Deborah Wright said...

Congratulations!! I've been waiting for this one. :-)