Friday, May 11, 2012

How Many Times Do I Need to Edit?

Current Project: Rebel Heart
Status: Editing one more time



I think I have become paranoid. Rebel Heart is one of my favorite books. (that I have written) And now that it is about to be rereleased, I can't stop going over it, changing it, making over the heroine and the hero. I was such a different person when I first wrote the book. Historical romance had a little bit different tone. I'm hoping I have updated this book to 2012. 

For those of you who were at the last MWV meeting you will understand completely when I thank Genene once again for my new cover. 

Thank you Genene!

So I've told myself this is the last edit, the last run through. I have approximately 100 pages left. I have actually made very few changes, thank goodness. 

Happy writing and editing to all.

Oh and happy promoting because that is the next stage of the game for Rebel Heart and me.


3 comments:

Meggan McQuaid said...

Oooohhh, I was really hoping you'd give us a concrete answer, Chris!

I have heard so many different opinions about this...how many times to edit. Everyone seems to agree that the answer is--at least--more than five. I have also heard 30, 40, and one un-pub'd author I know is on version 147 of some parts of her novel.

I have also heard that there is no final edit, because as authors we can always change something.

I think it says something wonderful that you have only made a few changes this time through.

Meggan

Christine Young said...

As much as all of us would like a definitive answer to this abstract question, I don't think there is an answer. I typically do not edit more than 3 or 4 times. This book however needed more. The heroine needed a lot of work. And although I said I had made very few changes...well...I just cut an entire scene.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Chris! Perhaps serial editing is contagious. :) And you made the new cover so easy to do. Glad you like it!