Friday, March 16, 2012

Inspiration: Use it or Lose It?

Current Project: Edits for Rebel Heart
Status: in progress, revising quite a bit


Inspiration:

in·spi·ra·tion

  [in-spuh-rey-shuhn]  Show IPA
noun
1.
an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot writepoetry without inspiration.
2.
something inspired, as an idea.
3.
a result of inspired activity.
4.
a thing or person that inspires.
5.
Theology .
a.
a divine influence directly and immediately exertedupon the mind or soul.
b.
the divine quality of the writings or words of a personso influenced.


Where or how do you find inspiration for your novels has been one of the most asked questions on this blog tour for Safari Moon. So I will put the question out to all of you.

I know I find inspiration in so many ways. Just looking out my window when a family of deer walk across my front lawn to the countries I have visited. I find inspiration in books I read and pictures I see. Listening to the wind blow and howl during a storm provides wonderful sensory stimulus for a descriptions. Most authors, I think, are people watchers. Television can inspire as well as family and friends. 

One of the ideas for Safari Moon came from my parents who after they retired took bicycle trips all over the world and in the U.S. They visited countries such as Bali, New Zealand, Tasmania, Greece, and places in the U.S such as the Natchez Trace, New England and Alaska.

All though the bike tours were not the main theme, they did provide a major character with a career.

The castle above looks like a fairy tale to me. Or it could be part of my 12 dancing princess series. Did I forget books? Oh my, I still haven't used my book of haunted castles for a background in a novel. Maybe I can use it for my May Day novella. 

Where do you find inspiration?

3 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I find inspiration in everything around me. You can't help but make a story out of everything when you're a writer. Everything is your color palette. And your brain is the canvas.

GigiViolette said...

Chris,
I like the picture you shared very much. It does remind me of princesses...and being chased by monsters, safety far away and out of reach!

I get lots of my inspiration from dreams, but lately I've been finding it in music. There are so many songs that tell a good story. I have been thinking it could be fun to turn those into longer stories, to explore and experiment with them.

Paty,
I love you idea of a palette and canvas. That right there makes me think of painting hair, and a beauty salon where the heroine discovers when she's dying someone's hair she can read their minds...

Meggan

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Chris! Another beautiful picture--and, yes, definitely princess-like. Wonder how many yards of fabric there are in that dress? Even that could inspire a story!

Paty, the analogy to painting is a great one!

Meggan, interesting that you find inspiration in dreams. I don't so much. Maybe because many of my dreams seem so convoluted. LOL! But I like your idea of inspiration drawn from music. Definitely some creative thoughts go into songs.