Thursday, February 16, 2012

IN LOVE WITH LIFE

Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: Editing and promotion!
Posted by: Genie Gabriel


I maintain the Web site for the NW Book Fest <http://www.nwbookfestival.com/>, so receive info on a wide variety of books written by Northwest authors. I love doing this! In addition to the many romance authors I know, I've met writers of children's books, political farces, spiritual weight loss, and poetry, just to name a few.

Today I received information from a man who makes books who signed his e-mail as "Bookmaker Jake." Curious, I checked out his Web site <http://www.storybankexchange.net/index.html>.

Turns out his books aren't covered and bound with traditional materials, but with gas cans and beer boxes and old sleeping bags and whatever he has on hand, bound with fishing line and, again, whatever he has on hand. 

His "office" might be on a mountain while helping a friend mine for crystals. Or on the banks of a swirling river. Or in a campsite. 

This 33-year-old man has a number of jobs from "human pack mule"--his words--to mental health case manager and about a half dozen others. 

However, what struck me the most wasn't his unusual book covers or his wide variety of work experiences. It was the thought "this man is in love with life."

I have to admit I was envious. Make no mistake that I love what I'm doing at this time in my life: writing, graphics, sharing space with a herd of doggies. But for the most part, I'm a serious ultra-responsible kind of person. 

Spontaneous, laugh-out-loud crazy behavior disappeared from my life somewhere. And I want it back. Well, in small doses when I can fit it into my schedule. :)

When was the last time had serious fun--without guilt--and what did you do? I'm looking for ideas.

4 comments:

Christine Young said...

I think I have those fun without guilt times with the granddaughters. Some times, in their innocence, do such remarkable things. And they can just make me laugh out loud. great post Genene.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Chris! Good reminder that grandkids are a wonderful way to have fun without guilt. Enjoy that young innocence! My youngest grandchild will be ten in May. They are growing up so quickly!

Sarah Raplee said...

My husband and i are trying something new (we're adventuraous types) - video gaming! I didn't care much for BioShock 2, which has a very dark ambiance and story line, but I'm having tons of fun with Skyrim, an amazing action/adventure/quest game (I'm a Wood Elf.)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Sarah! I tried video games once when my kids were young--long, long ago. LOL! I didn't have much hand/eye coordination or whatever it took, and figured my kids spent so much time with video games I should make up for it by doing something else. :)

Kudos to you and your hubby for taking on this adventure!