Thursday, February 02, 2012

LOVE YOURSELF FIRST!



Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: Preparing for launch of first book on March 1!
Posted by: Genie Gabriel






I had decided to base my February blogs on the topic of "love." A bit trite perhaps with Valentine's Day this month, but let's approach love from a different angle: self-love.

I've been receiving e-mails from the self-professed Queen of Self Love, Christine Arylo. A very funny lady and a bit over-the-top for me sometimes, but she makes some good points. The main one is you have to love yourself before you can truly love someone else. 

Perhaps that's why character arcs in my stories are so important. Usually my heroes and heroines have suffered some pretty serious trauma. It may have been physical, but has definitely left its emotional mark. These characters must overcome their own emotional trauma before they can fully love their perfect hero or heroine.

Here's one of the ways Christine Arylo suggests loving yourself: 
"Take a Self-Love Soak. Candles. Bath. Bath Salts. Music. Lip Liner. Beautiful Bar of Soap. Undress. Write words and sonnets of love all over your body with the lip liner. Get into the bath. Gently rub the soap over the love words and feel them soaking into your cells."

As writers, we often squeeze writing into an already full life. So taking care of ourselves is pushed even farther down on our priority list. However, during February--and every month--I invite you to do something special for yourself. Take that self-love soak. Or prepare a meal of your favorite foods. Or go for a walk and look for beautiful things in nature. I'm noticing daffodils and other spring flowers coming up strongly already!

I'd love to know how your pamper yourself, so please share.

Self-hugs to you all!


2 comments:

Meggan McQuaid said...

My goodness, Genene, you were sure up early this morning! I hope you were sitting in your favorite spot, sipping your favorite hot bevvie while you were posting!

How do I pamper myself? I eat healthy foods like fish (which no one else in my family can stand). I wear purple. I buy my favorite authors' books, rather than just borrowing them from the library. I let the water run hot even in quick showers. I only use good-tasting toothpaste. I keep my favorite tea on hand at all times. I spent time researching a breed of dog I really like and then allowed myself to have two of them, even though they were expensive. I painted my bedroom periwinkle blue!

I see nothing wrong with talking about love in February. Like most of us here at MWVRWA, I always look for the love in a story, and that's why I decided to write about romance. Up with love!

Thanks for the great post, Genene.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Meggan! Actually, I was falling asleep at the computer while finishing up the things I needed to get done. But I did have a cup of hot lemon-and-honey "tea."

Love the things you do to pamper yourself! Simple things, but I think those are the best, aren't they?