Friday, February 17, 2012

Animals in Books

Current Project: Will begin work on May Day Anthology
Status: Beginning to take shape in my head.




Source: google.com via Chris on Pinterest



Looking for an inspirational picture. I saw this one a while ago and remembered when I was a child. We had a parakeet. I was deathly afraid of it. I know there were several times it landed on my head or whirred by. I think I felt a little bit like this young lady. 


Although some might see this as an laugh out loud moment. Hmm....


Give me a dog any day. I don't want as many as Genene has, one is fine, thank you but dogs don't do weird things. 


So back to inspiration. I can see a short scene with something like this picture in any novel. I have dogs in my novels mostly. Emma in Dakota's Bride had a kitty which she left in a cave. One of my friends, a cat lover, pointed that out to me.  I had to think quickly "ah, lots of mice in caves, the kitty will do just fine." 


What kind of animals do you put in books?
What kind do you like to read about?

3 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Chris! You knew I'd respond to this post.

And dogs in my stories do weird things, like make coffee for their human or hijack a time machine...

Obviously I put dogs in my stories and a few cats. And one of my LEGACY series books will have a woman with a farm--horses, a guard llama...I may even find space for a rooster like my sister had that walked into their house, stood on the coffee table and watched TV. Too good not to use in a book some day!

Sarah Raplee said...

Guess you learned our lesson, Chris! Never leave a pet in a dangerous situation - readers will be up in arms!

I mostly have dogs. They don't fly or land on heads, but they sometimes do unexpected things. Most are modeled after dogs I've known and loved.

Then there's Big Momma, an eight-foot long boa constrictor. She escapes from her cage and is found in the crawl space under a neighbor's garage. LOL

Meggan McQuaid said...

My heroine has two Cardigan Welsh Corgis named Fetch and Cari. I have two Cardigans names Sara and Gryffin. I'm a dog person, but there are a few characters in my future (ones that are still in the early stages of development) that will have other animals...cats, rats, snakes, fish, birds, lizards...all the critters I've had in my life at some point. Oh, and there seem to always be horses.