Thursday, January 19, 2012

HOW DO I KEEP TAKING THAT STEP EVERY DAY?

Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: Doing edits to book #4
Posted by: Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel



I am an impatient person in some ways. I want my story finished NOW! I want to be physically fit and sleek NOW! I want property for my doggies and me NOW!

As you might guess, none of these longer projects has happened NOW. 

So I've listened to other ways to accomplish these kinds of bigger goals, and heard the numbers of how taking one step forward every day can yield impressive results: 
--Barb is writing 1000 words per day and, at that rate, will have 365,000 words by the end of the year.
--A friend told me if I lose one pound a week, that's 52 pounds in a year.
--If I save one dollar or five dollars or however much a day, or put all my change in a cookie jar, it will add up nicely at the end of a year. 

Definitely impressive. However, sustaining new, healthy habits--or taking those daily steps--is many times the biggest challenge for me. Like making New Year's resolutions that have been trampled beneath everyday living before I turn the calendar to the next month. 

As I'm focusing on that one step every day, I'm also learning strategies to support these new habits in a holistic way: physically, emotionally, and spiritually. 

Following that strategy, getting fit means eating healthy foods that are good fuel for my body and moving my body (the physical); releasing old emotions/habits/self-talk that weighs me down (the emotional);  and holding a vision of myself at a healthy, ideal weight (what I consider the spiritual or higher self). 

Probably even more valuable is I have given myself permission NOT to be perfect. Sometimes I want cheesecake. So I eat cheesecake with great enjoyment and don't feel guilty. And I continue with the rest of my steps toward getting fit. I don't use this "lapse" as an excuse to forget the entire goal. 


And I'm also starting to apply this holistic approach to writing and promotion, though the process has been bumpy at times. 

At least I have my goals:
--I'm making forward progress with my stories, but I want to be more productive. 
--I'm integrating promotion into my daily routine, but in balance with other things I want and need to do. 

Here are my steps from a physical angle:
--BICHOK: butt in chair; hands on keyboard
--Reclaim my priority of writing BEFORE the rest of the world claims my time with e-mails, blogs, errands, etc., etc., etc. 

From an emotional angle:
--Dig into what's holding me back, then get rid of that baggage.
--Give myself permission to not be Superwoman and maybe, just maybe, schedule some flexible time each day.
--Leave the "new, bright, shiny" alone! Schedule it on my very detailed database to do after my current priorities are met.

From a spiritual/higher self angle:
--Allow time to dream!
--Print out those book covers and envision them at the top of a best-seller list!
--Imagine cashing six-figure royalty checks and deciding how to spend them. :)

I have to tell you, though, I'm looking forward to progressing from shaky baby steps where I am now to giant strides toward impressive results. How about you? Are you in the baby steps stage toward your goals or are you striding forward with purpose?

2 comments:

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Impressive goals, Genene. I am having to adjust my goals as my work changes, doing more revision and less drafting at this point. But I am moving steadily forward (at a frustratingly slow pace!), and that's what counts. Sounds like you're doing the right things to get where you want.

I always notice that having a specific goal tends to be more helpful than just thinking I should do more. I've got to return to ending the evening with a plan for the next day--that helps me refocus when I get off track.

Thanks for the post. It's a good reminder to remember the process, and not just obsess over the goal.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Barb! Adjusting my goals has also been an "adjustment" for me.

Though I say that tongue-in-cheek, it's also an "aha" thought for me. The "old" way of setting a specific goal and working toward it one step at a time is no longer enough. I also need to make adjustments along the way, sometimes every day. The goal may stay the same, but the road to get there has many detours and side trips.

I also like your idea of wrapping up the day with a plan for the next day.

Though my database makes many people roll their eyes, it's simply a tool for me to keep track of what I want to accomplish. Without so much "stuff" jumbled in my mind, I'm getting more done, and am able to make those adjustments without totally losing track of my goals--a way to refocus, as you mentioned.