Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Quote of the Day


Today's quotes are about focusing on our work despite the distractions so common at this time of year:

"When you write down your ideas you automatically focus your full attention on them. Few if any of us can write one thought and think another at the same time. Thus a pencil and paper make excellent concentration tools." --Michael Leboeuf

"Our thoughts create our reality, where we put our focus is the direction we tend to go." --Peter McWilliams

"A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last." --Lord Chesterfield

But, alas,

"Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short." --Adam Hochschild 

4 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

The first quote about writing down what you want to focus on has been working for me! I did quite a few guest blog appearances during the launch of my three re-issues, and really, really didn't want to totally mess up by missing a deadline or, heaven forbid, forget where I was supposed to be on what day.

So I set up a database of my blog appearances and when the posts for those blogs were due. It worked so well I expanded it to include my writing and other projects. I leave that document open on my computer so I can tell at a glance what I have to do today and what's coming up.

Now the biggest challenge is making sure everything is on that database, because if it's not...

Barbara Cool Lee said...

I like your database idea. Maybe you could do a blog post with screen shots of how you organize that sometime? Sounds really useful.

I do know when I write down my plans for the next day before bed, I always get more done the following day. If I don't plan, it doesn't happen.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Ooooh, thanks for the suggestion, Barb! You just gave me the topic for my next blog post! Those not into databases can just skip that day. :)

Paty Jager said...

Distractions are everywhere. Great quotes. Ack! databases! LOL I do make lists and have a calendar that I jot everything down in to keep me on track.