Thursday, December 08, 2011

DISTRACTIONS--CAN WE USE THEM TO OUR ADVANTAGE?

Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: Editing finished on book #3; time to edit book #4!
Posted by: Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel




I think most people have heard the quote, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."

I've become more aware of this cycle in my own life recently, and am trying to change what I'm doing or at least how I'm thinking.

How can this apply to distractions?

Like Paty mentioned in Wednesday's blog post, I also have trouble saying "no" to family. Yet if I didn't set parameters, I'd get very little done. So I've hit a time limit compromise with family (and other distractions) by saying "I'll be writing for an hour, then we can go do…"

This can also work for distractions like e-mail or checking blogs--big distractions for me. I limit the time spent on e-mail to, say, half an hour, then switch over to writing. This has also made me faster at checking e-mail and less likely to follow links and get distracted on the Internet with what could be endless articles or videos.

Promotion is also a big distraction for me. Yes, I need to let readers know my books are available. However, if I don't take the time to write another good book, I won't have readers for long. So this distraction has taught me to become even more organized and to find a balance between writing and promotion. 

To paraphrase another familiar saying, distractions don't have to be problems, they can be opportunities!

6 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Well said, Genene! I try to limit my internet times to first thing in the morning for no more than a hour, then at noon I check e-mails and then at night when I'm done writing.

And I made my two chapters yesterday! YAY! A quick trip to WalMart this morning and I have two more chapters to write today.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Paty! It took me awhile--and the comments of other authors--to realize just how much time can be consumed by e-mails and the Internet. You have a great schedule for limiting these distractions. :)

And CONGRATULATIONS on writing your two chapters yesterday! Very cool!

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Good post, Genene. We are ultimately in control of what our "distractions" are, whether it's saying yes to outside demands or just checking email all day long. That's a tough lesson for me, but one I *really* need to learn if I'm going to reach my goals. Thanks.

Barbara Cool Lee said...

And congratulations on two chapters, Paty! Wow.

Christine Young said...

I really like the idea that distractions can be opportunities.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Barb and Chris! It's taken me a long time to see distractions as opportunities to help me sort through priorities and become more focused on accomplishing the things most important to me. It may be something I'll have to keep reminding myself about until it becomes a solid habit. Until then, sticky notes on the computer are a big help. :)