Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Current Project: Logger in Petticoats
Status: The End- doing final edits 




Yes, I've learned over the years I am my biggest distraction.  If I'm researching I can get off in a whole different direction not even related to the story I'm working on. 


New ideas for books come to me and I have trouble staying focused on the book I'm writing. I've learned to use an hour a day to work on the new shiny project and use it as a carrot to keep me moving the other book forward because I can't play with new shiny until the project I'm on is finished and ready to be published.


I can also  use the excuse of waiting for a reply from someone to keep checking e-mails rather than writing. But then I make myself a pact that I can only check e-mails first thing in the morning during my hour and a half e-mail and promotion time, at noon when I take a writing break or in the evening. If I stay on this structure I get more writing done.


Then there's Tink. When she needs outside I get up from my desk, walk down the stairs, and let her out. But on the way I can usually find something that needs done that distracts me long enough for her to come back in or I lose my train of thought and when I sit back down at the computer I have to reread the scene and get my brain running again. 


Or there could be deer or calves on my lawn that I sit and stare at. Or the cows, or just the sun shining on the mountains, the sunset, the sunrise, the blue sky....As you see if I want a distraction I can find one. That's why it's in my best interest to remember a book doesn't write its self. I have to sit my butt in the chair and tap the letters on the keyboard for a story to appear so I have to fight the distractions and write the book. 


So the best way to avoid distractions is to focus and don't get up until you've hit a set amount of words each day. Keep the focus and the words will come. I guarantee. 




Merry Christmas Everyone!!


www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

LOL, Paty! Love this post, probably because I can see so many of these distraction that I also use.

New ideas--yep. Checking e-mails--yep. Doggies in and out--yep. At least I'm not usually distracted by looking out the windows, because my computer faces the storyboards for my series so that pulls me back to writing.

Your suggestion to focus and stay on schedule is a great one. I'm learning that. And the "to do" database I set up has been surprisingly effective to keep me on task. Of course, I know if I fall behind--well, I just can't do that because of "deadlines and commitments."

Congrats again on finishing LOGGER! And Merry Christmas to you also!

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Genene! If I was a database kind of girl I'd try that, but you know me and databases... too structured. ;)