Thursday, November 10, 2011

NaNoProMo

Current Project: Promoting Rock'n'Romance trilogy while editing LEGACY series
Status: Moving forward
Posted by: Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel


I liked Sarah's NaNoWriMo twist so much last week I came up with one of my own: National Novel Promotion Month. 

This seemed appropriate as I'm doing a lot of promotion this November and early December for the re-issue of my Rock and Romance trilogy. 

So what could NaNoProMo mean? Perhaps being a guest on as many blogs as possible. Launching a new Web site. Or signing your way from week to week at in-person booksignings. Radio, television, online--getting your name and news of your book out to potential readers. Doing some type of promotion every day.  

Also perfect for me is the timing of an online marketing class sponsored by MWVRWA that's going on now. The instructor is making me think. And plan. And execute marketing strategies for myself and my books. I'm getting ideas for future marketing as I realize how much more I could be doing. 

Then there's the irony Paty talked about yesterday: getting caught up in other things that pull you away from writing. Making so many commitments that book deadlines slip up on you or, worse, slide by unmet. I've become very aware of finding the balance between writing and promotion since I have three re-issues during a one-month period: THE ROCK STAR on Nov. 1, THE BODYGUARD on Nov. 15, and THE LEADER OF THE BAND on Dec. 1. I want as many people as possible to know about these books.

However, I also need to keep moving forward with edits on my LEGACY series that will begin releasing next March. 

That means the rhythm of my writing life this month is edit, promote, edit, promote. Not much in tune with NaNoWriMo, which pushes writers to just throw words on paper or on the computer screen to get a draft. I'm at the other end of the spectrum--finishing and polishing and promoting books.

So let others draft their novels during NaNoWriMo--I'm promoting mine this month with my own NaNoProMo!

Where are you are in the process of producing your book--writing a draft, doing final edits, submitting your manuscript, promoting? Or have you taken a rebellious stand to simply READ this month? 

2 comments:

Paty Jager said...

All the above! LOL- My free read Christmas story is almost at 10,000 downloads! Very cool! I sent back my galley proofs to my editor for Spirit of the Sky, I sent a requested partial to an editor, and I'm promoing the Christmas story and a short story that just released with Wild Rose Press. Always stuff going on!

I like that you made the NaNO month fit what you need right now promo.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Wow, Paty! Great news on the number of downloads of your Christmas story!

Years ago, I remember published authors talk about having less time to write because of other demands on their time. And I thought I'd like to have that "problem." Well, now I am in that situation. So it was fun to take a well-known event like NaNoWriMo and spin it into what I need. :)