Thursday, November 03, 2011

My Twist on NaNo This November

Current Project: NaNoRevMo
Status: Just started
My Twist on NaNo This November
I’d hoped to write the first draft of a new book this year during NaNo. However it turns out that I have another priority. I need to do a final polish of my last manuscript.

The siren call of procrastination tempted me to do NaNo anyway. I love the energy of NaNo, the intense focus and the feelings of accomplishment. I have three stories planned and ready to go. Plus writing a new story is fun and exciting. 

But a writer must be self-disciplined enough to follow through. She must be willing to work when it’s hard, to do the not-as-much-fun steps necessary to make a book the best that it can be, and to do them as many times as necessary with a particular story. She must control the urge to procrastinate.

Then inspiration struck: I could do my own version of NaNo to serve my own goal!

I call my project NaNoRevMo. I’m channeling my NaNo energy into polishing pages with laser-like focus. My sister, Diana McCollum, and I partnered to write in parallel as often as we can. We report our progress to each other. And I’m on track to reach my goal.
NaNoWriMo, I salute you! Once again, you’ve inspired me.

3 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Good idea, Sarah! I'm working on my own NaNo project, but so far I've found way too many things that have helped with my procrastination and when I procrastinate it makes me a bear. So you'd think I'd be getting along faster on my book!

Only barely 2000 words yesterday! I really need to hammer out more than that. Hoping today will be more focused.

Sarah Raplee said...

Good luck, Paty. Maybe your loggers are figuring themselves out in your subconscious?

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Good idea, Sarah! I always seem to be doing edits when NaNo rolls around. Maybe I should push to get three books edited this month instead of two. Nah, probably not going to happen with all the promo stuff I'm doing.