Thursday, November 24, 2011

THE CASE AGAINST NaNoWriMo

Current Project: The LEGACY SERIES
Status: editing book #3
Posted by: Genie Gabriel




Yes, I'm about to embark on a blasphemous path. I'm going to give you some reasons NOT to participate in NaNoWriMo. Please, don't throw rotting vegetables just yet. If you've committed the unpardonable and are struggling to keep up with your word-count goal of National Novel Writing Month, you can probably add reasons of your own to this list. And if you're writing almost 2000 words a day, you probably don't have time to read this anyway.

So, here are my reasons not to join the NaNo craze.

1. Are you crazy? The holiday season is bearing down on us with all the sympathy of an earth-destroying asteroid. Who is going to make sure the retail stores make their way into the black if the entire population is (gasp!) doing something creative and productive? 

2. Are you crazy? Who would go on a crash diet on Thanksgiving day, with Christmas candies, cookies, pies and other yummy desserts just around the corner? So why draft a book now? Wait until tomorrow or the next day or the next…

3. Are you crazy? I have three books to promote during November and another two to edit. I'm way past the time when my words on a computer can be a crappy draft. Everything I'm writing now has to be polished to a gleaming finish.

4. Are you crazy? Sitting at the computer for eight or ten hours a day does nothing but broaden my fanny and make my back ache. I would be frozen in hunker-down mode and have to be pried out of the chair with the jaws of life.

5. Are you crazy? Why would I want to scale back my writing to a mere 50,000 words a month? I have deadlines to meet! Doggies to feed! A mortgage to pay!


Hopefully you've guessed by now I wanted a chuckle this morning and took it out on you--the blog readers. 

For those in the throes of NaNoWriMo, I wish you luck in meeting your goals. For those who aren't participating, you have 341 days (more or less) to come up  with a reason NOT to do NaNo next year. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I hope you have much for which to give thanks!

12 comments:

Christine Young said...

Love your post.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Thanks! I had fun writing it. :)

Marianne Strnad said...

I am SO with you girl! My husband-who I lovingly call "ADD Boy" would not tolerate me participating in NaNoWriMo at all! I heard a rumor a MAN thought this up-typical!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Marianne! I've heard some people say NaNo is wonderful for getting them motivated.

But for me, November is in the midst of a whirlwind of "other" activity and it would be masochistic to take on NaNo too. Cheer on others--yes. Take it on myself--not such a good idea!

Good that your hubby is looking out for you. :)

Paty Jager said...

Fun post! And so, how I'm feeling! LOL

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Glad you enjoyed the post, Paty! Sometimes there are just too many other things going on to pile more stress on ourselves.

Now back to writing! Crrrrracking that whip! (Kidding! :)

B. A. Binns said...

Yes, I'm crazy. Spreading fanny and missing Black Friday too. And 43,000 words and counting.

Love Nano - it gave me an excuse not to cook.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Wow, B.A., you are doing awesome! And I'm impressed doing NaNo got you out of cooking. That might work with people, but I think my dogs would still expect kibble in their bowls!

I'd love to know how many words over 50,000 you end up with. Let me know if you think of it!

Sarah Raplee said...

This is great! I needed a good laugh! I can so relate this year, Genene.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Glad you got a chuckle out of this, Sarah!

Courtney Rene said...

Okay now that I have completed nano (just now), I have a moment to say apparently, yes I am crazy. But that did not stop me from oinking on turkey and shopping past my limit on Black Friday. Not sure I will participate next year as I can see the revision ahead for this novel is going to be a wild one. Oiy!

Fun post!
ctny

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Courtney! Congratulations on finishing NaNo! Glad you had time for turkey and shopping too. :)