Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So non-Techie!

Current Project: Spirit of the Sky
Status: doing edits


Wow, this is one month when I'm really glad I don't have to do three posts.  


I just spent nearly a week rebuilding my website on Go Daddy. It took me one and a half days just to get the site figured out to upload the information I wanted and then another day to figure out how to get it placed the way  I wanted. I'm still not crazy about how the blurbs hug the book covers, but I decided to wait until I need to update it next month to work on that some more. 


When someone points out a program to help with writing I put my fingers in my ears and sing.  It took me years to finally get word figured out to format my manuscripts and then the track changes for when I edited. I'm still struggling with publisher when I use it because I dont' use it every day only when I want to make up promotional materials. 


The one thing I feel confidant about is Power Point. I love doing Power Point presentations. They're easy!


I've used movie maker to make a book trailer but all the buzz I've heard about how the trailers really don't help your sales, I've decided it isn't worth my time and effort. 


While I love the technology of ebooks for their convenience and the ability for me to upload my own writing, I will always use a print book for research. It's easier to flag the pages I want to reread or have the information I need than hunting for them in a ebook doc.


And speaking of ebooks, I'm happy to say I've figure out the formatting for the ebook outlets and don't understand when others find it difficult. 


So what about you?  Are you technically adept or technically challenges? If you're technically challenged like I am, what is your worst nemesis?


Paty Jager
www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com

9 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Great post, Paty! I'm somewhere in the middle between Techie and stick-fingers-in-ears. Because of my job, I have to upgrade to the latest version of Word whenever the college adopts it, but I still miss Word XP. I had that puppy *almost* figured out. Word7 and Word10 are harder and less intuitive for me. I can do just enough to make Word work for me--document map, headers, etc. And I learn all the time.

I'm very lucky to be married to a techie who helps me learn stuff!

Robin Weaver said...

Great post for non-tekkie's, Paty. I work in IT so my biggest nemesis is keeping up. After a full day of keyboarding, it's hard to get back on the keyboard to respond to personal email, keep up with Facebook, Twitter, multiple loops, and LinkedIn! Especially since I really need to be writing instead of techno chattin'.

Paty Jager said...

Bethany, That's the way I am with this whole ebook self publishing thing. I'm learning as I go and hopefully with not too much pain on my part.

Hi Robin! You are one of the many I so admire. I wish I could grasp the technology easily. When I call for tech help the poor person on the other end of the line has to be rolling their eyes!

harshadpassion said...

It depends on the tech you're talking about. I have word pretty much doing my bidding...I can write raw HTML and push the publish button in the editor and get it to display correctly. Throw anything else at me, and I may be in trouble. *g* Thank god I have learned friends (like you!) to help...*innocent look* right?

Good luck with all your endeavors, Paty.
hugs,
Julianne

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Paty!

I do a lot of graphic design, so am proficient in Photoshop and InDesign. However, I'm always learning and discovering new things in those software programs. I also get around pretty well in Dreamweaver because that's what I use for Web sites. Word and I get along well enough for me to write my stories, and I do basic databases in Excel.

Beyond that, it's learn as I need to. Fortunately, I usually pick up on software pretty quickly and, if I use it a lot, it sticks with me. Otherwise, it falls out of my head in a hurry. LOL!

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Paty, You've just explained why I pay someone to update my website. The stress on me just isn't worth it. I'm on an upward learning curve on Romancing The Genres blog that has me looking at laundry and dishes in the sink as something pleasurable!

Thankfully I use Word 7 well enough to get my stories written with very little hassle. I can do Power Point but I've a 15 year old granddaughter to help out with FB and smart phone problems.

Diana Mcc. said...

I am not very tech oriented. I can do word and excel. Haven't learned all the ins and outs of Facebook. (call my daughters for that :)). I am on a learning curve with blogging on Romancing the Genres. Enjoyed your post.

Paty Jager said...

LOL Julianne, it sounds like you are more techie than me. But you know I'll give it a try if you need help.

Genene, I bet because you are such a methodical plotter that your brain is wired the right way for technology. Oh there are days I wish I was wired that way. ;)

Judith, I have a smart phone, when I need help I hand it to my son-in-law. My daughter used to do all the website stuff, but since she's too busy most of the time I decided to take that on myself... and now I have a website that isn't coming up on the URL. Sigh... I'm always a work in progress it seems.

Thanks Diana. I actually find Blogger to the be the easiest "web" thing I do. If everything else was as easy as it is, I'd be a very happy techie!

Sarah Raplee said...

Hi Paty,

Like Bethany, I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm afraid I procrastinate when I know I should learn some new software or master a new device.

I have the hardest time learning how new device systems work, such as mp3 players & iTunes.