Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In




This is the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly check-in.  Every Monday we encourage members and visitors to let us know how their writing is going.


Today is Monday, September 19, 2011.

Are you on track to reach your goals?

There are 103 days left in 2011.

Weekly Calculations:
If you write 1 page per day, you can write 25750 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 2 pages per day, you can write 51500 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 3 pages per day, you can write 77250 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 4 pages per day, you can write 103000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 5 pages per day, you can write 128750 more words by the end of the year.

So how are you doing?  If you have gotten off track, this is the week you can regain your momentum.  Tell us how you're doing, and set a fresh goal for the upcoming week.  A page a day is a book in a year.  You can do it!

PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powells, the world's largest independent bookstore.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I miss my goal. I only managed 3000 words. I hope to get at least that many this week, we'll see. I don't have company, but I'm headed to Washington for a book signing. I'm also formatting the Christmas story that will I'm giving to readers starting in October.

And I'm a category coordinator for one contest and a judge for another. *sigh* not sure why I do this to myself.

Paty Jager said...

That's missed my goal. sheesh.

Genene Valleau said...

I think I'm moving forward. At least I keep telling myself all this catching up on databases and learning more about law enforcement heroes will make my story edits go faster.

I echo your "sigh," Paty. But it's making me more determined to shut out the rest of the world and do just that. So that must be forward progress!

chanceofbooks said...

3,000 words is still pretty awesome, Paty!

I got my New Voices Entry up: http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Entries/182-Still-Got-It

I'd love to get some comments! (There's also a way to "vote" on entries--lots of great entries in all genres.)

And I must REALLY hate editing, because somehow I wrote 6K last week. And now I'm torn--keep going on this or stop and finish editing (I'm about 1/4 of the way through). If I kept going there is an outside chance I'd be done enough to be able to submit BOTH to Golden Heart. Which would be awesome. Also, these characters? Way noisier than the MS I just finished. Heroine will not shut up. :) I might have to have a schedule to work the editing in. This year has been all about changing everything I thought I knew about myself as a writer. Semester starts up next week :( Not really looking forward to it as much as I might. All this momentum is going to slow down. But I'm still going to keep going even if just 50 words here and there.

Paty Jager said...

Genene, at least you're working on your books. I feel like all I do is think about writing.

Bethany, that is so great that your characters are coming through so strong.

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Paty, as Bethany said, 3000 words is still good forward progress!

And Bethany, congrats on getting your New Voices entry posted! Interesting how you say you don't like editing. I actually enjoy that because I know the story is close to finished when I get to that point. :) And very cool about your noisy characters. Love it!

chanceofbooks said...

I actually DO like editing. It uses a different part of my brain and I'm so happy that I went over the word limit as it's making write tighter and edit deeper. It's just taking much longer than I thought :(

But this new story is soooooo tempting and then I have this little voice saying "two shots at GH are better than 1"

Sarah Raplee said...

I'd do a dance of joy for 3,ooo words this week, Paty. Good progress.

Genene, maybe you needed a little distance from your story for clarity. I bet you'll have a fresh eye, which can be important.

Cloudy, congratulations on finishing your New Voices entry. I'll check it out and vote.

I thought I'd have Mon thru Thurs to write this week, but had to go to Bend cause Mom had a vertigo attack. She's doing good now, but it's a struggle here to blog here and take care of RTG Admin stuff, let alone write. So my 'back from summer' celebration week will have to wait.

I did attend the Mary Buckham and Dianna Love workshop last weekend and learned so much my head is spinning.