Thursday, September 29, 2011

THE REJECTION HOTLINE--OOPS! HOW YOUR CHARACTERS HANDLE REJECTION

Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: editing book #3
Posted by: Genene Valleau

OK, it's the end of the month and I've pretty much shared all the wise words I have about rejections and setbacks.


So I started to write a silly blog and began searching the Internet for ideas. In doing that, I found there is a Rejection Hotline. It's a phone number you can give out if someone doesn't understand the word "no." Or you can call it yourself or give it to friends who are bored or…


Well, I decided not to call as my sense of humor doesn't tend to fit their video, and it sounded a bit more harsh than a number I would give out to anyone. Though there have been a few obnoxious telemarketers who won't take no for an answer that this might discourage. Hmm…


But at least the Internet search gave my brain time to come up with a legitimate topic for a blog: Have your characters been rejected by someone in one of your stories? If so, how did they handle that rejection? Yep, there are probably as many answers to those questions as there are characters.


Here are a couple of mine from my LEGACY series.


Use HUMOR to deal with rejection. A secondary character in the first book has a crush on the hero. However, their one date is awkward and ends up with a guy in a gorilla suit spying on them through her window. The hero tackles the gorilla and the secondary character ends up with her own hero in one of the other series books.


Use DRAMA and a WARRANT FOR ARREST. Using a much more serious tone, the reporter heroine flirts with a guy to get information for a story. When she realizes he's dangerous, she's in too deep and he kidnaps and attempts to rape her. She escapes by using her brain and survival instincts fueled by adrenaline. The guy gets a warrant issued for his arrest.


Want to share a rejection scene from one of your stories?


P.S. If you call the Rejection Hotline, let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Christine Young said...

Fun blog. I too will have to come up with a third topic about rejection. Can I copy yours? Sigh...
Anyway you did get me thinking about my books and our characters rejections. In my book Allura, the littlest sister is rejected over and over again by the man she has truly fallen in love with. She is a prankster and does everything she can think of to get attention from the love of her life. Many who have read this story want her book to be next. Alas, since she is the youngest, it will be a very long time before that book is written.

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Chris, you can call the Rejection Hotline and let us know how that is. :)

I am one of your fans who is looking forward to the youngest sister's story, but know we'll get to read about all the other sisters and cousins first. Her determination is amazing!

Sarah Raplee said...

Interesting post, Genene!

In Blindsight, my hero's fiancee broke off their engagement just before she was kidnapped and killed. He blames himself for her death. He deals with his grief by focusing on freeing other kidnap victims and searching for her killers.

Genene Valleau said...

Sarah, that's a great example of a character's entire life being changed by rejection. Sounds like a good story!