Friday, September 02, 2011

Current Project: Vacation/no back to school for me :D
Status: Dodged Irene

Rejection: How can anyone critizice my baby?

Rejection is so personal. When I first started writing, I took every critisicm and suggestion as a personal afront to my beautiful child (manuscript). I quickly learned that for the most part all the suggestions were constructive and if I listened, really listened, I could improve my writing. Most of the time the chanes were little, fixing dangling participles so I didn't leave the reader going ... huh ... and shaking their head in confusion. The list would go on and on if I wanted to elaborate, which I don't.

One famous and very well known romance writer once said (this is a semi quote because I can't remember the exact) "I went to the post office and sent my manuscript to an editor and it was returned so fast it hit me in the head as I was leaving."

Well, I have never had that happen but I have had a requested manuscript take over 3 years to receive a rejections letter. Many authors say they would like feed back as to why the piece was rejected. However that can be confusing as well. When I had an agent, I received many conflicting reasons as to why they did not want the book. For example, one house said their was no conflict and the next house said the conflict was too much. So what did that mean? Did they read it?

Another author who spoke at a Dream Spinner conference said "I have received so many rejections letters I wall papered my bathroom in my office with them." I haven't received enough to wall paper a bathroom but close.

Whatever the case, I suggest we learn from rejections, critiques and well meaning suggestions. Weed out the ridiculous and move on.

Now back to vacation. We are moving from Atlantic City to Manhattan tomorrow and I have a $1.oo in my hand to gamble. Going to try to double my money :). And if all this sounds a bit jumbled, I'm not surprised.

4 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Chris! Bet it's so nice to be on vacation rather than going back to school!

I have also heard stories about what does a "rejection" letter really mean. I received one such "rejection" letter containing personal suggestions from an editor. Other authors said that wasn't really a "rejection," and advised me to make the changes suggested by the editor and resubmit. I did that. They still didn't buy the manuscript, but they did look at the revised version. Go figure!

Genene Valleau said...

P.S. Glad you missed Irene!

Paty Jager said...

Happy Vacation, Chris!

I agree. I think rejections help a writer grow if they don't take every criticism to heart or turn Diva and not listen to any of it to heart.

Sarah Raplee said...

Interesting post, Chris! have a wonderful rest of your vacation!