Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In




This is the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly check-in.  Every Monday we encourage members and visitors to let us know how their writing is going.


Today is Monday, August 29, 2011.

Are you on track to reach your goals?

There are 124 days left in 2011.

Weekly Calculations:
If you write 1 page per day, you can write 31000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 2 pages per day, you can write 62000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 3 pages per day, you can write 93000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 4 pages per day, you can write 124000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 5 pages per day, you can write 155000 more words by the end of the year.

So how are you doing?  If you have gotten off track, this is the week you can regain your momentum.  Tell us how you're doing, and set a fresh goal for the upcoming week.  A page a day is a book in a year.  You can do it!

PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powells, the world's largest independent bookstore.

9 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Last week was kind of an odd week--I was on a high from finishing the book but also itching to edit it and start something new. I forced myself to wait on editing so that I get a little more perspective.

I did, however, keep my momentum going--spent most of the week on the synopsis. SO HARD. (Thanks Alice!)

This week I need to finalize the synopsis, get my MARA entry off, and work on my entry for Mills & Boone New Voices. Last week I wrote out two 50 word blurbs for possible chapters and did rough freewrites. This week I'd like to type up both so that I can pick which WIP to go forward with.

And I have childcare so I should be at the meeting!

Paty Jager said...

Bethany, congrats on working on the synopsis and jotting down more ideas.

Last week... I uploaded the "sisters" story I co-wrote to Kindle, Smashwords and B&N. I judged the Golden Rose entries I received, I rewrote some on the Christmas Story and sent it to a CP. And did more research for Hank's story which I plan to start writing this week, barring any more interruptions. While driving to judge at State Fair I solidified the heroine in my mind. She's been kind of iffy up until then. So once I establish where they are logging I'm ready to start even though I have the first few pages written, it's just a set up for Hank heading to the logging camp.

Genene Valleau said...

Bethany, great job keeping the momentum going!

Paty, sounds like you are busy as ever! The "sisters" story sounds really interesting.

Last week, I worked on my "Storyboard and Beyond" presentation for this week's meeting. Just a few things to finish up. As I organized the info for this presentation, it triggered a number of ideas for promotion for my LEGACY series. It also pushed me to update the databases I've been using for the series, which means edits should go more smoothly for the next books.

This week, I'll be working on edits for book #3 of the LEGACY series, doing more tweaks to the video clips and updated Web site, working on a video for Rogues Angels, and doing the presentation at the meeting on Thursday--hope to see many of you there!

Sarah Raplee said...

Bethany, congrats on your progress. I'm working on two synopses right now, and they ARE hard, but I'm finally getting it, I think.

Paty, what's the name of your "sisters' story?

I picked your Christmas story as my holiday book to review on Romancing the Genres in November.

Genene, I'm actually planning to be at the meeting on Thursday to see your presentation!

Genene Valleau said...

Sarah, it will be so good to see you at the meeting!

chanceofbooks said...

Yay for progress, everyone!

Looking forward to meeting Sarah on Thursday and seeing Genene again! And story boards!!!!!!!

Genene Valleau said...

Um, yeah, storyboards. Did I mention "...and Beyond"?

I'll also be bringing samples of my databases (just enough to cover another wall), scene sheets--but just for the first book, my master character notebook, and whatever else I come up with in the next few days.

For those more sane than me, I'll have a SMALL packet of handouts with blank worksheets for storyboards, scenes, and a simple database that you can adapt to fit your own writing process.

Looking forward to seeing you again, Bethany, and to seeing everyone else who can make it!

Paty Jager said...

Genene, I...Want... To... Come... but I have a feeling I'm going to be way too tired to do the drive. I'm judging in Condon on Wednesday. I have to be there at 9am so will leave home at 5:30 and don't know how long the day will be. And then we're headed to Princeton for the second cutting of hay on Friday, sooo... If you see me yipee, if not, I'm probably in bed when the meeting starts. LOL

Sarah, the sister story is For a Sister's Love. The Christmas story is actually a novella length, not book length.

Genene Valleau said...

Would love to see you at the meeting, Paty! However, I learned long ago driving when tired is not a good idea. If you don't make it to the meeting, I know you'll be with us in spirit!