Monday, August 08, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In



This is the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly check-in.  Every Monday we encourage members and visitors to let us know how their writing is going.

Today is Monday, August 8, 2011.

Are you on track to reach your goals?

There are 145 days left in 2011.

Weekly Calculations:
If you write 1 page per day, you can write 36250 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 2 pages per day, you can write 72500 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 3 pages per day, you can write 108750 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 4 pages per day, you can write 145000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 5 pages per day, you can write 181250 more words by the end of the year.

So how are you doing?  If you have gotten off track, this is the week you can regain your momentum.  Tell us how you're doing, and set a fresh goal for the upcoming week.  A page a day is a book in a year.  You can do it!

PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powells, the world's largest independent bookstore.

7 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

I'm. Still. Editing. Gah! OK, I feel better now and can go back to editing. :)

One of the biggest challenges for editing this series is forgetting what I know. That is, reading each book as if it was a stand-alone story. I need to add enough information about each character as they are introduced or a situation as it comes up so readers know what I'm talking about, without doing a boring info dump. But since I started working on this series several years ago, I know the characters so well I assume everyone else does also.

I'm thinking I'll need to find a reader for each book who hasn't read the previous book(s) in the series just to point out places where I've put in enough information or not added enough.

Obviously I'm still editing--reading the entire book aloud at this point, which means I'm almost done with edits. I also finished the cover on Saturday and am delighted with how it turned out.

My goal for this week is to finish edits to Book #2 and get started on edits for Book #3, which I want to have finished by the end of August, along with its cover.

Hope everyone else is getting time to write!

Paty Jager said...

Genene, at least you have something to edit!

My company left, yeah! I spent all of today trying to catch up. Tomorrow will be more of the same. I also have to travel to two county fairs this week to judge so I have a feeling the new book won't get started until next week. This week will be writing my newsletter, two blogs, and formatting the book I wrote with another author that we are putting on Kindle.

Next week, next week, I hope to hop into the next project.

chanceofbooks said...

2,070 words last week. I did managed to finish a chapter that had been a difficult beast to unpack, so that's something. Ugh. Still haven't managed to blog in forever mainly because all this writing seems to be temporarily ruining reading for me.

In-laws leaving tomorrow. Ready to start hammering out the words now. 5,000 words this week is my goal. I can see the end and I want it so bad right now.

Genene Valleau said...

One step at a time, huh, Paty? At least you'll get your newsletter and blogs out of the way this week so you can dig into the new book next week. And you'll have another book up on Kindle. Please let us know when that one is available.

Woo-hoo, Bethany! Progress with company is worth an extra pat on the back, especially a chapter that doesn't want to be written. Can't wait to celebrate "The End" with you!

Paty Jager said...

I agree with Genene, Bethany when your book is done we need to have a "the End" party!! Congrats on pushing along on the hard chapter.

chanceofbooks said...

I'm gonna celebrate "the end" by actually making it to a chapter meeting LOL :)

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Wow, everyone. I see you're all working hard, despite all the distractions life throws at you.

I'm knee-deep in a new contemporary book, tentatively titled "Beggarman, Thief." Hope to finish a draft by October.

And congrats, Bethany, on getting close to THE END! Hope to see you at a meeting soon. Yay!