Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Quotes of the Day


Some authors' thoughts on creating characters:


"When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature." --Ernest Hemingway 

"Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him." --Mel Brooks 

"All characters come from people I know, but after the initial inspiration, I tend to modify the characters so they fit with the story." --Nicholas Sparks 

"If there is any secret to my success, I think it's that my characters are very real to me. I feel everything they feel, and therefore I think my readers care about them." --Sidney Sheldon 

"When the characters are really alive before their author, the latter does nothing but follow them in their action, in their words, in the situations which they suggest to him. --Luigi Pirandello 

4 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Good quotes all!

By identifying closely with my characters, though, I have to be very careful not to call other people (especially my sons) by the characters' names when I'm deep in a story. Just keep my mouth shut long enough to come back to "reality" before I speak. :)

Paty Jager said...

Great quotes! I agree with them all.

Sarah Raplee said...

Where do you find these quotes? They are truly thought-provoking!

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Hi, Sarah. I used to work for a writing program at a university, and I posted writing-related quotes around the office for students and faculty to ponder. I've been collecting quotes for years, and have a half-dozen quote books I rummage through as well. It's sometimes hard to find ones related to the current topic, but so far I've found relevant ones when I keep digging!