Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Current Project: editing and formatting For a Sister's Love
Status: Hope to finish and get it up on Kindle this week.

I was part of a blog series on western historical novels that was read by Sue Grimshaw and she now wants us to do something like it for her blog Random Romance. But the group came up with the idea of showing what historical westerns are all about by interviewing our characters.

They didn't want all marshals or outlaws so we had to let them know what characters we would interview. I'm, of course, going to interview Wren and Himiin from Spirit of the Mountain. Because I do believe Himiin will be the only spirit interviewed.;)

But I need some help. What could be some questions the interviewer asks him that would show the genre-historical paranormal?

And Wren as a Nez Perce maiden, do have some questions you think would work for her?

I also have to come up with an interviewer other than myself. I'm thinking a National Park guide who comes upon them near Wallowa Lake would be a good interviewer. What do you think?

I'll let you know when my post runs.

5 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

What about a kid as an interviewer? Using a national parks guide feels a little less true to the characters--you've done such an unusual thing having a native American romance with no white folks around. What if you have a child/young adult interviewing them around the campfire several years after the end of Spirit of the Mountain?

This would also let you get at the heart of Wren's character--she's so deeply committed to her tribe and her mountain but she's such a free spirit too. The trick I think is to mainly interview her---the ending of Spirit of the Mountain undid me and blew me away with its beautiful twist and I don't think you want to ruin that for readers by letting them see too much of what happens to Himiin--instead you can have Wren reassure the questioner that there's a happy ending in sight--but nothing like you might expect.

I think I would keep the questions on the first 1/3 of the novel & general to preserve the mystery :) Of course, I'm sure you're already planning to ask Wren how she feels about the mountain, but you could also ask her about her vision quest since that guides so much of the book and really shows the beliefs.

just my two cents! What an awesome opportunity! I forsee a lot of new sales!

Paty Jager said...

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll see how I can incorporate them into the interview.

I actually started the interview with the ranger arriving at the lake at night because of calls about a woman and a white wolf.

I also have to keep it to under 500 words. So I may just write a long one and then pluck out the good stuff.

Genene Valleau said...

I agree this is a great opportunity. Very cool!

Were there National Park guides in the time of Wren and HImiin? (Obviously showing my ignorance here. :)

Maybe the interviewer could be an elder or shaman (I'm not sure what all the tribes call older wise members). This could lend a mystical quality to the interview and the interviewer could also weave in some brief background about the tribe and perhaps talk about legends and what qualities are important to the tribe.That might be a lead-in for questions to ask HImiin that wouldn't give away the entire story.

Perhaps the interviewer could ask Wren what a Nez Perce maiden is expected to do, and how is she different than other maidens of her tribe.

Looking forward to reading this post!

Paty Jager said...

Good thoughts, Genene. No there weren't park guides, I was making it a contemporary interview. With Wren, Himiin, and Wewukiye appearing at the lake and the guide realizing they weren't of this time. It's the historical paranormal aspect I was playing up as well as the NA. But I could change it up.

Genene Valleau said...

Ah, now I understand. That would really play up the paranormal aspect. I like that!