Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Characters-They're around us every day.

Current Project:Logger in Petticoats
Status: 500 words

As I blundered through the messy files inside my head to conjure up the heroine in Logger in Petticoats, I keep going back to my youngest daughter's best friend. Her parent's are 6' and 6'5". She is a tall(6'2"), not stocky but sturdy, girl who loves volleyball and basketball. But she isn't aggressive. A trait she and my daughter had in common. They were both good volleyball players but they played the game for the joy of it not the competition which of course drove the coaches nuts.

I've based my heroine on this girl because as a teenager she was awkward due to her size and she was blonde... Sometimes she would say and do the goofiest things and then slap her head and say, "Doh!" She laughs at her own clumsiness and has a HUGE heart. Those are the traits I've built into my heroine, also the nationality- Norwegian.

The heroine's family is going to be based on neighbors we had when the kids were growing up. They were third generation Norwegians from North Dakota. Over the years of living next to them and our kids hanging out with Olaf learning about horses, I've learned a few Norwegian words. ;) And the bond that they form in their families. This will be one of the conflicts for my heroine when it comes to the black moment. Can she leave her family and the close knit community of the logging camp?

How about you? Do you use people from your life in your stories? If so who?

3 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Paty! I've used the names of real people in two novellas where a part was auctioned off as a prize for a fundraiser. However, the characters were fictional, not really based on the real people.

Other than that, I may use a trait from a real person. However, I intentionally try to stay away from using a real person as a basis for my characters. Of course, with my rock star hero, there wasn't much latitude for the instrument he played. I've not heard of a rock star who played trombone. :)

Paty Jager said...

Genene! LOL on the trombone rock star. At the brunch I spoke at earlier in the month I was asked if I ever auctioned off characters in mu books. The mystery writer who was with me, had and found it a lot of fun. It's something I need to start thinking about. Perhaps when I get rolling on the mystery series.

Sarah Raplee said...

Paty, my hero characters each have something of my husband in them. Not that they are identical; far from it!

Some of my other characters are based on people I've known, and most of my animal characters are.

Your heroine sounds perfect for your book!