Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Quotes of the Day



Some authors' comments on research:


"Research is formalized curiosity.  It is poking and prying with a purpose." --
Zora Neale Thurston


"If I get blocked, it is generally because I don't know enough about some aspect of the story or the characters. The answer for this is generally more research, or making more background notes, so the place and person can be more fully realized inside my own mind." --Sarah Zettel 

"I cannot say how strongly I object to people using other people's writing as research. Research is non-fiction, especially for horror, fantasy, science fiction. Do not take your research from other people's fiction. Just don't." --Laurell K. Hamilton 

"From the beginning, the series has been story driven - I began with a story idea - but research feeds it." --Jean M. Auel 

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” --JRR Tolkein, LOTR

3 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Great quotes, all. The one from J.R.R. Tokien made me laugh, it's so true.

Genene Valleau said...

Interesting quotes. I especially like "Research...is poking and prying with a purpose." LOL!

Deborah Wright said...

Great quotes! I love this -- "Research is formalized curiousity." So true!