Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quotes of the Day & Some Contests




A few more quotes on research to hopefully spark your imagination:

"I could write historical fiction, or science fiction, or a mystery but since I find it fascinating to research the clues of some little-known period and develop a story based on that, I will probably continue to do it." --Jean M. Auel 

"I don't believe in writing anything that I don't know about or haven't researched about personally. I like to transport the reader to places, and in order to do that I have to do the research." --Jackie Collins 

"I find I use the Internet more and more. It's just an invaluable tool. I do most of my research on the Net now - and certainly do the bulk of my communicating through email." --Nora Roberts 

"One book at a time... though I'm usually doing the research for others while I'm writing, but that sort of research is fairly desultory and I like to stick to the book being written - and writing a book concentrates the mind so the research is more productive." --Bernard Cornwell 

And lastly, a warning about the joys of research:

"I enjoy research; in fact research is so engaging that it would be easy to go on for years, and never write the novel at all." --Helen Dunmore



And also, here are some links to writing contests being run by Harlequin.  If you happen to have something that fits their guidelines, this is a good opportunity to get your work in front of acquiring editors:


----------


Harlequin Special Edition Happy Holidays Contest



July 13-September 15

The competition entry must consist of the first chapter (15-20 pages) and a one-page synopsis specifically geared to Special Edition and must have a holiday theme.

----------

Harlequin Blaze Aviator Day Challenge



June 1 - August 15


The first 1000 words of a Blaze manuscript that involves a man and a plane.

----------

Harlequin Intrigue Editor Pitch


July 11 - August 16

Must be available for online pitch August 24 at 10 am, EDT.

250 word synopsis of a Harlequin Intrigue manuscript

must have completed manuscript

----------

Mills & Boon New Voices Contest


begins September 13 - details to be announced

3 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

LOL at the "joys of research" quote! I usually enjoy research, but do reach a point where I toss all the research books (or whatever) aside, and just start making things up. :)

Paty Jager said...

Fun quotes and good HQ info.

Sarah Raplee said...

Barbara, please email me, as my sister has been trying to get ahold of an officer in order to join MWVRWA all month, and no one responds. She wants to take a class, too. Please help! sarahmcdermed@yahoo.com

Thanks!