Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In




This is the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly check-in.  Every Monday we encourage members and visitors to let us know how their writing is going.


Today is Monday, June 13, 2011.

Are you on track to reach your goals?

There are 201 days left in 2011.

Weekly Calculations:
If you write 1 page per day, you can write 50250 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 2 pages per day, you can write 100500 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 3 pages per day, you can write 150750 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 4 pages per day, you can write 201000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 5 pages per day, you can write 251250 more words by the end of the year.

So how are you doing?  If you have gotten off track, this is the week you can regain your momentum.  Tell us how you're doing, and set a fresh goal for the upcoming week.  A page a day is a book in a year.  You can do it!

PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powells, the world's largest independent bookstore.

7 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I was in Iowa visiting family last week, but I managed to work on my world-building a bit.

Deborah Wright said...

You know, I wish my current writing schedule was only 1 page per day! I look back at the weeks wasted this year and think, if only. LOL

It's funny--I always managed to meet deadlines (reasonable or not) in the day job. I guess I just had to figure out a deadline in writing that I considered serious. How about meeting with an agent I'm actually interested in at RWA National? Yep, that did it. I've written more words (and words worth keeping) in the last 14 days than I've written in the last year.

I've found my motivation. This book may not be the one that gets published and it may not get me the agent of my dreams. But it will be finished!

chanceofbooks said...

I got my 5,000 words in--5,167 to be exact. Feels like I spent all week on two stinkin' chapters. Oh wait--I did. I passed the 40% mark as I wanted as well. Now this week's goal is 6,000 words and I really want to hit 50% done. 10% each week feels doable right now.

Wahoo Debbie! Look at you go! Your first finished WIP is going to feel SO AMAZING. I've done a total of three (this will be four!), but nothing compares to that first rush. Be sure to celebrate!

And I know all to well that feeling of wasted time. I'm finally doing what I should have been doing the last FIVE YEARS--sneaking in a page here and page there, believing that every word gets me a little closer. Deadlines are awesome. The memorial day contest was a huge motivator. Now I have a few other real deadlines to push me along.

Paty Jager said...

Sarah, Every little bit helps.

Deb, Way to go! Deadlines, even self motivated are great things.

Bethany, Whoop! Way to keep putting those words down and using the bits of time you can wisely.

I'm not sure if I met my goals from last week. It felt like I accomplished nothing, but I gathered the research materials for the next book and am naming characters and getting reading to figure out the premise. I'd planned to have Perfectly Good Nanny up on Kindle and other places but my daughter's classes got in the way. She had some more tweaking to do to the cover. Hopefully this week.

I did a pregalley read through of a short story for TWRP. It's part of their Love Letters series in the historical lines. Received the cover of the weekend and it isn't a thing like the story, but, oh well.

I'm teaching an online class this week and next, and a critique workshop on Saturday so this week will just be more of getting everything stewed and brewed to start writing on the last Halsey book.

Happy writing everyone!

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Sarah! Cool that you got some world building done. That's fun!

Deb, congratulations on the great progress! The motivator that kicks us into high gear is sometimes elusive. :)

Bethany, way to go! You are rollin'!

Paty, sounds like you got a lot done last week, though it may not have been as many words written as you originally planned. Sounds like you also have a busy week coming up. Great energy and great forward motion!

The first book in my series is ready to go to my publisher, though the ending still isn't exactly what I want, so I'll probably tweak that before I push the send button. I'm also still fussing with the structure of the other books. Making progress, but I'm really looking forward to some long hours to take over the other three walls of my office and perhaps spread into other rooms so I can visually see my series.

Paty Jager said...

Genene, Congrats on getting the first book done!!

Genene Valleau said...

Thanks, Paty!