Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Question of the day


To inaugurate our June topic, "conference tips and pitching," I'm going to break from my quote of the day and ask a question:

If you could be a fly on the wall at the RWA national conference in NYC at the end of June, what would you be listening for?

I'll be at the conference, attending workshops and at least a couple of special events with a lot of editors and agents (one for multiple subgenres and one for young adult fiction), and I'll be on the alert for any tips, trends and, of course, any agents or editors looking for submissions.

So what should I keep an ear out for on your behalf?  What type of work are you trying to sell?  What subgenre or publisher do you want to learn more about?  What kind of news will make you sit up and say "gee, that's the info I needed right now!"?

4 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Barb, I'd love to know how Carina Press and Simon Impulse are doing - and how their authors feel about them.

Thanks for asking!

Genene Valleau said...

Wow, Barb, this question really triggered my cynicism.

Picking up the remains of my rose-colored glasses and placing their cracked lenses and crooked frames on my face, I'd like to hear what fresh and exciting projects using cutting edge technology are in the works from publishers to showcase the incredible talents of little-known as well as bestselling authors to bring readers a wide variety of excellent stories. :)

Paty Jager said...

Hmmm... anyone looking for action adventure set outside the U.S.

Any information you can bring back will be welcome.

Vonnie Alto said...

What an incredibly kind offer! I'd love to know more about what the traditional publishers think of light paranormal romance and do they want it. I know that Avon and Jove is open to lighter paranormal romance but what about the rest of the publishers? Ballantine? HQN? Mira? St Martins? Pocket? NAL? Grand Central?

Also, how can an unpublished, unagented writer contact some of these publishers who only accept agented material? Is there a way around that if you don't have an agent and can't get to a conference? Some of these publishers don't have their editors judge contests so it makes it doubly hard to find a way to access them. What is the secret?

As for agent hunting, I want to know which agents edit your work vs sell and negotiate your work. I think this question tells us volumes about an agent. In theory, they all sound great, but in actuality, it seems that they can be divided into these two groups which then makes it easier to decide if that agent is right for us or not.

These are the things that I would love to know. I'm looking forward to what you find out.