Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hey batter, batter!

Current Project:Miscellaneous
Status:

Pitching is you tossing an idea out to an editor or agent and hoping they like it enough to take a swing. But what happens when they do take a swing and ask for more?

You sit down and run through the amount they requested one more time to make sure it's polished to a gleaming shine. You send the requested amount and then spit polish the remainder in hopes they ask for the full.

But you wait months and you hear nothing. Do you send an e-mail and give them a nudge? What happens when they asked you to send a partial and told you to give them a nudge after a certain length of time if you havne't heard anything, and they still don't respond?

How long do you wait?

If I haven't heard from an unsolicited query in six months, I write it off as a not interested, but how long do you wait to hear back from something you pitched at a conference and was requested? And how many times do you send a "nudge"?

7 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

For requested materials, I've always heard to nudge after 4-6 months, depending on the line/agent. Harlequin seems to have a problem with volume of requests and loosing materials, so it's more accepted to nudge there. Some agents deal with nudges with a reject, others accept the nudge better. I think a good rule of thumb is to try to find out what others have experienced with nudging that particular person. And Paty is the epitome of a class act, so grace and tact aren't even a question for her, but of course, it pays to be gentle and gracious in your wording.

Paty Jager said...

LOL- thank you for the kind words, Bethany.

I nudged one agent actually giving her a couple extra weeks added onto when she said to nudge her, and I haven't heard back.

I have something that's been at Harlequin for soon to be eight months. But my experience with them is if you query you get an automatic rejection. Because it states on the site do not e-mail asking about the status of your submission.

And so I wait... and plan what I will do with those projects...

Sarah Raplee said...

What do you think of Bob Mayer's advice, which is to keep sending the project out to other agents/editors, no matter what?

I'm very new to submitting.

Paty Jager said...

Sarah, I keep submitting to other people. I just feel when it was requested(even if just being gracious at a conference)it should get a reasonable turn around time with "Yes, please, send more" or "No, thank you".
And the HQ one they should at least have an automated reply so you know they even received the submission. Just my thoughts.

Genene Valleau said...

This is an interesting question, and one I find bizarrely quirky in the publishing industry. In my other businesses, my goal is to respond clients/potential clients within 24 hours. So waiting months and months for a response was totally foreign to me when I was sending queries.

Perhaps that's where Bob Mayer's advice to keep soliciting would be logical. If you get a solid request from someone else, you could "nudge" the first agent/editor asking if they are still interested and, if not, pursue the other possibility.

chanceofbooks said...

Paty, a lot of HQ lines DO send a confirmation. Check out the "submission care" thread over at Harlequin, and you can ask for others who submit to that line whether or not to nudge. Several people recently have nudged only to find out that the MS were lost!

Sarah Raplee said...

Thanks Paty, Genene, and Cloudy for the information. :)