Friday, June 10, 2011

Conferences: Love 'em or hate 'em

Current Project: April Fools Anthology
Status: Ready to write

I applaud all who win victories over their nervous fears and meet editors and agents. I agree wholeheartedly with all that has been said so far. I have fantastic memories from the conferences I have attended as well as the ones I have helped to put on. Conference rewards are many. I encourage every aspiring writer to attend conference, not only for the potential learning but for the social networking. The people you meet at conferences may well become your "new best friend." The energy at conference is exponential as well as addicting. I love the endorphin high and I seem to carry it with me for weeks afterwards. There are down sides however. At one Emerald City conference I attended, I managed an appointment with an agent. I was already published. Kennsington had released my first book Dakota's Bride. The agent was off-putting and brusk. She said we should be out having drinks not sitting a conference room. And that is about how far the meeting went. She didn't offer or ask to read my work, just told me how behind I was.

I digress again.

The message: Go to conferences you will enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. They are worth every penny. So what conferences are you all planning on attending. I'm thinking very strongly about attending Emerald City this year.

2 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

What a bummer experience with the agent. Glad I've heard a lot of other agents stories that were much more optimistic!

Not this year, but one of these years I hope to get to Emerald City conference because I've heard such fantastic things about it.

Sarah Raplee said...

I enjoy the conference 'high', too!

I'm planning to go to emerald City this year. Loved it last year!