Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Finding Time to Write, and Encouraging Words

Last Read: White Night by Jim Butcher



Current Read: Turn Coat by Jim Butcher



Planned Next Read: Small Favor by Jim Butcher









My life has been rather busy lately: full-time day job, homework with the kids, after school sports, the day to day routine of feeding my family and making certain everyone has something clean to wear. And it is about to get even busier, as we prepare for the newest addition to our family to arrive. So where, in all of this semi-organized chaos, do I find time to write?





Lucky for me, I enjoy 'organic' writing. I have several old-fashioned, college-ruled notebooks, each of them dedicated to different writing projects. It is so simple to carry a notebook with me everywhere I go. I squeeze in character development while on break at work and waiting at the doctor's office. Plots are painstakingly outlined inbetween my childrens' turns at bat while sitting on the sidelines. Character conflict and relationships get jotted down while on one of the multiple porcelain cruises that are a major part of current daily routine (these would be the home cruises, not dayjob cruises).





And it is great, the people who are interested in where I am with my current work in progress. During a doctor visit last year, I quizzed my doctor on the best way to kill off one of my characters. She recently asked me how the book is coming along. Coworkers used to going around me on the stairs at work, one of my favorite places to sit and write while on break, ask how the book is going. People who work in other buildings ask about my book when I bump into them after not seeing them for several months. My best friend's husband asks me how the book is turning out, wondering when he will get to read it. It amazes me, the number of people who ask with genuine interest and strongly encourage me to keep working on my book. Just a couple of words from someone is enough to energize and keep me going for weeks.





A huge thank-you, to all the people who keep encouraging me to reach for and live my dream of being an author of multiple published books! Your words of encouragement mean more to me than you will ever know.

No comments: