Monday, April 11, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In




This is the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly check-in.  Every Monday we encourage members and visitors to let us know how their writing is going.


Today is Monday, April 11, 2011.

Are you on track to reach your goals?

There are 264 days left in 2011.

Weekly Calculations:
If you write 1 page per day, you can write 66000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 2 pages per day, you can write 132000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 3 pages per day, you can write 198000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 4 pages per day, you can write 264000 more words by the end of the year.
If you write 5 pages per day, you can write 330000 more words by the end of the year.

So how are you doing?  If you have gotten off track, this is the week you can regain your momentum.  Tell us how you're doing, and set a fresh goal for the upcoming week.  A page a day is a book in a year.  You can do it!

PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powells, the world's largest independent bookstore.

5 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

The biggest progress I made this past week was getting my taxes done. Hooray for that!

As for writing, I'm still editing the major info dump of words to bring the first book of my series into line with all that happens in books that will come after. There's a definite advantage to writing drafts of all the books before the first one is published. Namely, I don't have to live with the mistakes. I can correct them in edits before the books hit the streets. :)

How are the rest of you doing? We had an interesting discussion of the projects we're working on at our meeting last Thursday. Hope you ladies are making progress on those great ideas! (Which reminds me that I need to do the Hot Sheet from that meeting.)

Happy writing to all!

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Congrats on finishing your taxes. That's such a big pain to do.

I wrote 3198 words on my new book last week, which is pretty good since I didn't start until Wednesday, and was sick on Thursday/Friday.

My goal this week is to go back to the basics--brainstorm 1000 words a day, and work on worldbuilding and plotting in between.

Good luck everybody.

Genene Valleau said...

Great progress, Barb! And I like your goal of brainstorming a certain number of words while worldbuilding and plotting. Good idea!

Paty Jager said...

Way to go Genene, and Barb! Taxes and words it's all good!

Genene, I can see where having all the books in a series still in front of you to tweak would be helpful. "Note to self on the jungle series".

I managed about 7,000 words. Still short of The End but I'm getting closer. The end of the week I slowed because of more research and then I judged a 4-H skills contest on Friday and Saturday and on Sunday my hubby kept me outside all day working.

Today I wrote 1000 words after cleaning the house and I just uploaded Marshal in Petticoats to Kindle with the new cover my daughter made. I priced it at .99 hoping to catch more reader s who will then purchase the rest of the series that I'll be uploading as I get my rights back.

Then I have a bunch of blog posts to write this week getting ready for my blog tour next month for the release of Spirit of the Lake.

Happy goals everyone!

Genene Valleau said...

Paty, congratulations on the word count and getting close to The End!

I'll be very interested in hearing how sales go with Marshal in Petticoats. Exciting publishing options for authors right now!