Friday, April 15, 2011

Promotion: How much is too much?

Current Project:April Fools Anthology
Status: Treading Water or Deadman's Float?

Promo, promo, promo—how do we accomplish this without overstepping friendships and our followers? I know first hand publishers cannot spend as much time promoting your book as you can. There are many review sights that will interview you with little to no cost and many blogs who will do the same. Some will tell you the virtual blog tour is a good way to get the author's name to more people.

I don't believe you have to twitter constantly and run contests. I have found some of this to be counterproductive to selling books. Many who enter contests want a paperback and not a download. Paperbacks are costly and the postage can be outrageous. Until more people have kindles and other e-readers, contests will be sparsely entered.

Rogue's Angles have had great success with raffles to put the winner's name in an anthology. I think this could be used more often. I find this intriguing. We sold many books and the promise of more to the winner of A St. Patrick's Day Tale raffle. Relatives came to the signing and bought books. I don't know if this will spark more sales of other books but one can always hope.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on where you are in your writing career, you will have a different take on the constant desire/need to promote books. I love to support the local authors. I buy their books and am now trying to promote them on Goodreads. I encourage everyone to support their local authors as well as their favorite authors.

Who are your favorite authors and how do you support them?

2 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Wow, it's tough for me to choose favorite authors. Most of the authors I know become favorites. I try to comment on their blogs (if I'm reminded :), go to booksignings, cyber-cheer for them when they have releases or get good reviews and recognition. And, of course, buy their books when the budget allows.

Sarah Raplee said...

I think Genene about covered it all for me, too!