Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gearing up for a Release

Current Project: Spirit of the Sky
Status: Downhill slide to the end

Next month my second book of the Spirit trilogy, Spirit of the Lake, will be released. I've started this month getting ready for the release and pushing the first book again since it is a trilogy.

I'm scheduling a blog tour for the week of and after the release. I'm contacting blogs I've been on before and had a good turnout and new blogs that might have people who would be interested in this type of book.

Once I get a blog a day for those two weeks, I'll mark the ones that will send me interview questions and determine how many other posts I need to write. I like to make each post different but only use two or three different excerpts. If I used a different excerpt for each blog I'd be giving away the whole book. But at the same time, because I make it a contest and give away a book to the person who follows and comments on the most blogs, I don't want them to become bored by reading the same thing over and over again.

I'll also send out pdf's of my book to the review sites my publisher doesn't. I like to use portions of reviews for my promotion. I think it says more to a reader when another reader gives a good comment about a book.

That's how I gear up for a release: By writing two weeks worth of blogs and sending it out to review sites.

What type of promotion gets you interested in a book?

5 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Your schedule makes my eyes roll, Paty!

Knowing the author gives them a head start. :)

Reviews don't usually carry much weight with me. I like to read a short, intriguing teaser for the book, followed by an excerpt. If I like the excerpt, I'm pretty much sold.

And if I've liked other books by the author, I'm about 99 percent sold from the start. :)

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Wow. I'm so impressed with all you do. Since I'm unpubbed, I don't do anything yet. My first priority for doing promo, when I get there, is figuring out how to get it all done!

Paty Jager said...

Genene, There are days my schedule makes my eyes roll! LOL

I don't read a book due to reviews either, but I like to use them in my promo. Don't know why I just do. And I'm the same, I read books by authors I like.

Barb, I didn't know I'd have to do this much before I pubbed either.

Sarah Raplee said...

I am getting so many good ideas from everyone's posts this month!You are AWESOME promoters! Thank you.

I buy authors I like, authors I know, and books I've read reviews about that peaked my interest. I also read blurbs and first paragraphs when looking for a new-to-me author.

Paty Jager said...

Sarah, you have good ideas too! Like the blog Romancing the Genres.